[UNSOLVABLE] Firefox Sync Key changes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yerba Mate

[UNSOLVABLE] Firefox Sync Key changes

Post by Yerba Mate »

After moving from a very old Ubuntu (with Firefox 3.0 + Sync as add-on) to Linux Mint 13 MATE (with Firefox 15.0 + Sync as core functionality) I had a very strange and unpleasant surprise -- my Firefox Sync Key is not valid anymore. I am sure that the key I'm typing is correct (I have two equal copies of it). My Firefox Sync account is also active (it accepts my e-mail address and password).

After a quick research I have found that people have similar problems but no one has found any satisfying solution yet. There is also a difference in the key format (old: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx, new: x-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) and in its name (old: Sync Key, new: Recovery Key). Everything indicates that Mozilla has really changed the key format for the Sync service. But what happens with users switching to newer Firefox while still holding a key in the older format? Is there any way to get my data back from the Sync server now? Maybe there is an algorithm to calculate a new key while having the old one? I should be grateful for any help coming from you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firefox Sync Key changes

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Yerba Mate

Post by Yerba Mate »

I posted the same question on Mozilla's support forum right after writing here and I'm going to post here any solution coming from Mozilla too. In the meanwhile, maybe someone knowing the solution will give me a clue.
Yerba Mate

Post by Yerba Mate »

Unfortunately, I haven't received any answer from Mozilla about this issue until now. I created a new Sync Key and started collecting my links in Firefox from scratch. Probably few Linux Mint users have experienced this problem because it regards a very old version of the browser. Maybe it was even an experimental feature by the time I had been using it. Anyway, this issue cannot be solved and I'm not looking for answer any more.

Return to “Software & Applications”