New Hatchling Here!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
USDragoon

New Hatchling Here!

Post by USDragoon »

Hello All!

I'm a Linux hatchling. I'm in the process of fireing Micro Soft from my existence!

I tend to get grand visions of a final result I want, but at a run speed first- and forget that I have to learn to crawl before I can even walk. (wifey says I'm just high maintenance)

I've done A LOT of reading so far, in regards to how Linux came about, and the features, advantages & benefits of the big picture of the overall OS, and some of the distro's, and look forward to getting my hands muddy.

As for practical application, I've downloaded Puppy 5.3 and wiped an olde virus infested machine free of MS XP pro!
I learned a little about Gnome & Gnome4Dos, and learned a lot about my olde MicronPC Millennia- hardware, et al...
I got some help from some guys at "the Linux Forums.org". I burned the mid night oil trying to figure things out installing Puppy to the hard drive. I think I burned 5 days, or so, and half a stack of CD's.
I've tried to study from an online open course, 'an intro to linux', however, it was last revised in 2007, and the command lines don't work in the default terminal of Puppy. Apparently, I need something called Xterm?

I found that puppy was fantastic at acting like acid to remove Windows, and re- formating my HDD, however beyond that, its a little to advanced for me right now. I think, and hope, Linux Mint will prove to be the distro that will meet my desires, from the Basic 1,2,3 's, to one day soon, turning my olde MicronPC into a server for my farm.
I also have a few other antiques laying around that I'm interested in maximizing use out of.

Take care! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: New Hatchling Here!

Post by The-Wizard »

compared to mint puppy is a very basic distro aimed at low powered laptops/net-books but in many cases mint LXDE will run just as well with more programs readily available in the repo's

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi USDragoon, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (if you have picked the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint :wink:).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”