Clicking Noise?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
obscenelyappropriate

Clicking Noise?

Post by obscenelyappropriate »

So I've installed Maya, and every time I shut down or start up I hear this clicking noise. It sounds like it's coming from the speakers. Is there any way i can make it stop making this noise?

EDIT: It is coming from the speakers and not the hard drive (I'm on a laptop btw, so they're pretty close). I tested it by putting the speakers on mute, logging off and then logging back on again. Didn't hear it. But I'd prefer not to have to mute my computer and unmute it again every time i log off/on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Clicking Noise?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Paste this in terminal:

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist pcspkr" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Now reboot and it should be gone.
obscenelyappropriate

Thank you :)
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

Did you just blacklist your speaker? Does it still work?
I would suggest your right click on the speaker in the tray and select preferences. There is a tab there for sound effects. One is the click sound. Just shut it off there and the speakers will still be useful.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Did you just blacklist your speaker? Does it still work?
LOL, no, actually it's a misnomer. It doesn't affect anything about your sound devices--it removes a huge BEEP every time your computer starts up and shuts down.
obscenelyappropriate

ok, i ran the command up there and now if my laptop is plugged in, it doesn't make that noise, but if it's unplugged it does.O I'm going to try what Jagwin said.

EDIT: Okay, I ran into a few problems here. I opened up the sound settings and found the tab for sound effects. Clicking on the sound effects does absolutely nothing - I can't make any changes there. I tried logging in as root and apparently root can't change a thing related to sounds (can't even turn the sound up or down).

Also, when I log on as root, the launch buttons on the panel at the bottom of the screen are all invisible; I have to hover my mouse pointer over them in order to see where they are and which one is which. I tried to take a screenshot, but apparently nothing really happens when i press the printscreen button on either root or my main login. I mean, the screen sort of reloads, but nothing comes up asking if i want to save the screenshot and I can't paste it into anything.

Anyway, I've got some homework to do, then I have to go to work at Walmart, so I'll prolly check whatever answers i get tomorrow. Peace.

Return to “Beginner Questions”