New OS and the questions that come with it [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ltnemo2000

New OS and the questions that come with it [solved]

Post by ltnemo2000 »

I just installed LMDE+cinnamon and i've got a few Q's because its different from fedora kde (my last OS)

1. How do i set up a root password? I like to give friends my login but my root pass dies with me.
2. Can I set up multiple desktops/workspaces?
3. how can i change the device my volume keys control?
4. Know any good rougelikes? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jailfindery

Re: New OS and the questions that come with it

Post by Jailfindery »

ltnemo2000 wrote:1. How do i set up a root password? I like to give friends my login but my root pass dies with me.
You must open a terminal and type "su". You will need to enter your password to login as root. You can then type "passwd" and it will ask for a new password, which you will need to enter twice. After that, your root password should be changed.

You can also use "sudo passwd root", which may prevent you from having your root password die with you. Consider this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Root_password
ltnemo2000 wrote:2. Can I set up multiple desktops/workspaces?
If you go into workspace selection mode (Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow), you will notice a plus symbol on the left side of the screen. If you press this, a new workspace appears. If you mouse-over a workspace, an X will appear. If you click the X, the workspace will disappear. The number of workspaces is also persistent between reboots.
ltnemo2000 wrote:3. how can i change the device my volume keys control?
If you click on the volume applet on the bottom panel, there is a menu called "Output Device...". If you select this, your various output devices will show up and you can choose the one you want.
ltnemo2000 wrote:4. Know any good rougelikes? :)
I can't say I do, but you can always take a look at mintinstall. You can find it in the MintMenu as the Software Manager. Its icon is a yellow, 4-pointed star.

Last, but not least, welcome to LMDE and Linux Mint! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :D
ltnemo2000

Re: New OS and the questions that come with it

Post by ltnemo2000 »

great. everything works fine now. And I know my way around the different GUIs.
I totally forgot about compiz. My last debian based system was Ubuntu 10.04 when it was new
jjaythomas

Re: New OS and the questions that come with it [solved]

Post by jjaythomas »

as far as # 1

You can make a everday user (no sudo rights) and make auto login with now password. Keeps admin user/psswrd seperate hidden, with additional everyday security (normal use 'user no sudo rights) :wink:

Also I believe if change passwrd of 'user' (that has root privlages) It changes the login only the root password stay what was used at install.

J.Jay

Return to “LMDE Archive”