Escape from windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YanOri
Level 1
Level 1

Escape from windows

Post by YanOri »

Hi, I have installed linux mint 13 'Mate' using mint4win (64 bit). Is it possible that i can extract this to a different partition and make it a separate OS which is not inside of windows? (I don't know how i can explain it in a better way). My main reason for installing mint is that if i mess up with one OS, i can still access my files with the other. But now that I've installed it inside windows, I think if i mess up my c drive, linux mint will be affected too (isn't that true?)
Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: Escape from windows

Post by veggen »

I think your best option is to backup what you need, remove Mint and do a clean (full) install. And yes, you're pretty much correct, the whole Mint file system is contained in a couple of files on your existing partition. If you managed to damage it, you'd most probably screw up Mint as well.
YanOri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YanOri »

veggen wrote:I think your best option is to backup what you need, remove Mint and do a clean (full) install. And yes, you're pretty much correct, the whole Mint file system is contained in a couple of files on your existing partition. If you managed to damage it, you'd most probably screw up Mint as well.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Is it possible to backup the updates and the rest of the apps i have installed?
I have a slow internet connection and its a pain to update the system again :(
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Is it possible to backup the updates and the rest of the apps i have installed?
use APTonCD - which should, already be installed on your system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
YanOri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YanOri »

Thanks a lot for the info

Return to “Installation & Boot”