What do you guys think of my computer build?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
furblog

Post by furblog »

Here are the specs and info:
Case : Corsair obsidian 550D
CPU: Intel core i7 3770k overclocked to 5.2 ghz 8 threads
GPU: EVGA Classified Nvidia gtx 680 4gb
Ram: 16gb DDR3 1600 mhz Corsair
Storage: 2 TB HDD
Cooling: Corsair H100 liquid cooler
and windows for games. But mostly mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BubbaBlues

Re: What do you guys think of my computer build?

Post by BubbaBlues »

I think you spent a lot of money. 8) You shouldn't have any problems running KDE.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

with the hardware you have, you have a real fast setup. software development for your rig is a big advantage for you if that is what you do
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No SSD? Seriously, invest in a SSD today (nice reviews here http://www.storagereview.com/reviews/consumer/SSD). Your build is being held back by your hard disk right now; making it perform worse than it should. A system like that deserves a SSD :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I'd suggest reading some articles or wikis on using SSDs under Linux first.
For example, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
Lord_Eager

Post by Lord_Eager »

I ask myself what you make of an 8 cores CPU, unless you use it for professional 3D rendering, and graphic design, even the most recent games are not able to use more than 4 cores.
You can also use Mint for playing windows games, wine 1.5.10 gives a great compatibility with most games.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

WHY..So Much Overkill :?: :?:
I have never understood why people build this type of computer :)
Why the over clock? (an i7)
16 GB Ram :?: Linux Mint or Windows 7 will use half of it.
4GB Video You must be making Movies..What kind of Mon. are you Using :?:
But to each his Own :) :) :)
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I dont think it is overkill. Linux is generally a minimum spec os in that traditionally Linux can run on old computers.

But is important for some to test linux with a rig that has fire power. This opens a window of opportunity for serious testing and there are a lot of high engine software that can be tested with a rig like that.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

This is a great thread.

One of the most redeeming qualities of Linux Mint is that it can not only boot to a minimum of 524 mb of ram but it is very stable and user friendly for the new linux user.

But if you are a new linux user it may be possible that you will be happy that you can surf the internet, play music, podcasts and basic videos for no cost except that time it takes to download an iso, burn it to an install medium and install it.

However, there is always the possibility that you can quickly become a linux wonk and you may end up trying more advanced OS's.

The reason why I say that this thread is great is because it really opens up the nature of linux.

Linux and Hardware Enthusuasts and Software Developers share many common personality traits.

Linux by its very nature promotes that the user take charge. Apple and Mac would rather that their users juat know how to use a mouse and keyboard and a touch screen interface.

In an extreme case linux users who use Arch Linux or Gentoo as their standard distro like to control every aspect of their OS. This is much more complicated than linux mint where if you can install it successfully everything is pretty easy from there.

Hardware Enthusiasts like to purchase and build their own computers with hardware that they soley endorse. And then they test their builds with high speed programs. Video games are the best because video games can demand extreme amounts of processing power and in many cases they can test what is possible with the current cutting edge of technology.

And software developers have the challenge of giving hardware enthusiasts something to test.

Linux is right in line with this line of thinking. Linux Mint caters to new users who want to get statted with Linux. Actually I am beginning to believe that Linux Mint has the potential to become the standard for software developing environments because it is so light weight. I also believe the OSs only real purpose is to make it easy to maneuver around the computer. All that is needed from the developers of Linux Mint is the ability to install the dependencies of various software development environments.

And as for the rig. I think this is a strong rig with strong specs. 16gb of ram is tops. 8 cores is too. The graphics card is top of the line. There was no mention of monitors or audio specs. Cooling is important but I am still not that knowledgable about cooling issues.

I myself am investing time in learning to build a web server but I am also studying software development environments and Linux Mint and CentOS OS environments. But in the meantime I am saving money to upgrade too as well.

The rig is solid and it is a great standard top of the line for everyone here at Linux Mint to know, even if you only own a small 1gb laptop.

animaguy
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

wish I had the money to build a system like that.

cept id go bigger. totally have to have dual CPU's
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

furblog wrote:Here are the specs and info:
Case : Corsair obsidian 550D
CPU: Intel core i7 3770k overclocked to 5.2 ghz 8 threads
GPU: EVGA Classified Nvidia gtx 680 4gb
Ram: 16gb DDR3 1600 mhz Corsair
Storage: 2 TB HDD
Cooling: Corsair H100 liquid cooler
and windows for games. But mostly mint
I like your setup here is mine :mrgreen:

Dell Precision 470 Workstation
CPU: Intel Xeon 3.0ghz X2 Hyperthreaded = 12Ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8400 with CUDA 512MB (1GB Turbocache)
RAM: 12gb DDR2 667 mhz Kingston
Storage: 160gb SATA
Cooling: 1 Fan @ Front, 2 Fans @ Rear and 2 extra fans inside for overkill

It can run KDE (distros) but on Kubuntu it likes to rape my CPU everytime lol
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

Nice! Here's the build I wanna attempt.

CPU: Celeron G530.
Mobo: a $70 ASUS LGA1155 MicroATX board.
RAM: 8 gigs.
HDD: 500-gig.
Case: a decent MicroATX case.
Video and audio: on-board.
Ethernet: on-board.
Wireless: a good PCI wireless adapter.
Dial-up: PCI 56k modem.
Optical: DVD burner.
Other removable media: Memory card reader.
OS: either a custom Ubuntu install or Mint 13 Cinnamon.
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

w2ibc wrote:wish I had the money to build a system like that.

cept id go bigger. totally have to have dual CPU's
Dual Xeons FTW! XD
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Ok, a dummy question. Why did you overclock this rig? Did you notice a difference in demanding games? Seems a little unnecessary with the stock horsepower you have. I haven't looked into doing this, but if I were to overclock mine I would want dual profiles in bios so I could choose the oc only when necessary.

Return to “Open Chat”