Lenovo Ideapad touchpad issue

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Lenovo Ideapad touchpad issue

Postby niarno01 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am

Hi guys,

Not quite a noob here, but still not a pro.

I just installeed Mint 13 Cinnamon (64 bit) on a Lenovo Ideapad P580. I am having the following issue:

Right clicking on the desktop or any folder/drives fails to bring up a menu. I'm used to being able to right click on the desktop, for example, if I wanted to quickly change my background, or right click on a drive to mount it. The functionality is now missing.

I've searched the forums and found zilch. I have also checked my touchpad settings in System Settings to make sure that the touchpad is actally enabled correctly. Seems fine.

Finally, left-click / scroll function as expected.

Ay ideas?

Ivan
niarno01
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lenovo Ideapad touchpad issue

Postby cmart2112 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Same here with the P500... anyone have a resolution?
cmart2112
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Stanie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Just played very briefly with Linux Mint 14 live dvd on my new Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 and the touchpad works great!
Left & right clicks without probs...
Also open mouse settings and check vertical and horizontal scrolling to have better functionality.
If it doesn't work with LM 13 try Nadia.
Stanie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby saravanavela on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 am

Same problem in my 420S lenovo laptop with Naida
saravanavela
Level 1
Level 1

Postby igor83 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:40 pm

saravanavela wrote:Same problem in my 420S lenovo laptop with Naida

Wish I could help... but the touchpad works fine on my $95 used Lenovo Thinkpad R61, like everything else...
Definitely the latest Linux kernel will be the medicine you want for those newer multi-hundred-dollar laptops.
The next version of *buntu is always right around the corner, along with Linux Mint. Until then I'd suggest plugging in a mouse.
I use a mouse with my laptop even though the touchpad works, because I'm not a big fan of touchpad. Just takes too long to get things done with a touchpad.
With nice optical three-button mice at $15 and less, it is really a no-brainer. I found a really good one, a Zalman mouse, for $5, shipped, (with rebate) on NewEgg.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support