Hi everyone

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcoose777

Hi everyone

Post by marcoose777 »

Hello, I'm marcoose777 sometimes Marcus, not long been a member here. Recently I Migrated to Linux Mint from fedora after the second preupgrade failure within 2 years balked my hard drive and lost a lot my personal stuff. Check what the website has to say about that upgrade route : http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading . Anyhow enough of that, after all I'm not bitter. As far as computers are concerned, I've been an on/off user since the mid-80's. Self taught micro-processor assembly (6502), school taught sbasic, cecil, trurtle and a bunch of other esoteric comp langs. Took a break from computers for about 15 years, came back. Last few years been self teaching C/C++ and a bit of Java probably start looking at script langs soon: python possibly. Hobbies besides the obvious, a bit of relaxing painting, swimming (live in seaside town), music, and the occasional pub quizz. Worked mainly in the chemical industries (pesticides/pharma), currently work as a paper mill tech. Live alone after being widowed a few years ago, what more could you possibly want to know.

Look forward to reading all those informative posts, and maybe get involved from time to time

bonne temps

Marcoose :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hi everyone

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Marcoose, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! Most of the Mint tools (Software Manager, Update Manager etc.) are written in Python. Most of my programming these days is done in BASH or Python, so I can recommend you giving Python a serious look. It's fun to program in :wink:

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Welcome Marcoose! :)

Wow, you are quite the autodidact! Very impressive. Your life sounds very relaxing and idyllic, makes me smile to think of you living it.

I am very sorry about your spouse, though...

Caerolle :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Vincent, sorry to be OT yet again, but have started looking into Python recently, too, what an elegant language! I actually downloaded and compiled it about two dozen installs back, and played with it a bit. Take a while to run the checks, so haven't reinstalled it lately. One thing, the reason I went to the Python site to download it was because every time I selected what seemed to be the right one in the Software Center, all the items in the search results grayed out, and the Software Center program crashed. Happened to me several times, on different installs.

FWIW,

Caerolle :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Python 2.7 comes pre-installed on Linux Mint :D You can install Python 3.x easily by installing the "python3" package. For example from the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python3
Then start any Python scripts you want to use with Python 3 with:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python3
If you are very new to Python, Google's Python class is a nice (basic) introduction: https://code.google.com/edu/languages/g ... hon-class/. Somewhat more advanced, the Hitchhiker's Guide to Python: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/index.html (don't forget to bring your towel). DocHub has an awesome quick lookup of Python documentation, though the page is very heavy/slow to load (just so you know): http://dochub.io/#python/. Of course, the Python website itself has excellent tutorials and documentation as well: http://docs.python.org/py3k/.
marcoose777

Post by marcoose777 »

Thnx everyone for your warm words, not knowing much about python myself - have done a bit of research what I read sounds interesting, it appears that there are big differences between py2 and py3 I believe. There are also security concerns if I read right about py3, so will tread carefully, and keep an open mind. :)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Vincent, thanks for all the wonderful Python info! Python 3 was what I downloaded, nice to know I can get it through a repository instead.

Hopefully Python is 'mostly harmless'? And not some sneaky Vogon plot? (though I don't Vogons do sneaky plots, they just kill ya)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Actually, I just remembered where the name 'Python' came from. Isn't Hitchhiker's Guide the wrong controlling metaphor? ;)

"Is Dave behind the rock?"

BOOM!!!!!

"No"

"Is Dave behind the tree?"

BOOM!!!!!

"ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

(flying body)

"Yes. Dave was behind the tree."

My sister and I used to sneak out of bed at 11:00 PM on Saturday night to watch on PBS. ;)
marcoose777

Post by marcoose777 »

VOGON:
Oh freddled gruntbuggly! Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits in a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindle werdles,
For otherwise I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with
My blurglecruncheon see if I don't.........................
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

OMG, marcoose, I hope you looked that up and don't know it by heart, or I'll really be worried about you, lol! ;)
marcoose777

Post by marcoose777 »

Tee hee, I've got the radio scripts. Nothing like a bit of vogon poetry though :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”