Kernel Update

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teatime

Kernel Update

Post by teatime »

Hi forum

I switched some time ago from ubuntu to linuxmint and as I have a second workstation running Ubuntu 12.04.1 I'm still wondering why linuxmint Maya is some kernel updates behind as Mint is Ubuntu based? For this reason I would like to know whether someone can explain me after which policy linuxmint devs decide that a kernel update get released or not as until now with the shipped kernel release and latest official ubuntu 12.04 kernel there are some open CVE's. I'm aware that I can get the kernel update via apt-get update&upgrade but that's not the default update way. Anyway thanks to the mint developers for a great desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Kernel Update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, teatime.

The latest kernel v3.2.0.30 is available for users of Linux Mint 13 as it is for users of Ubuntu 12.04. So Linux Mint is not behind Ubuntu 12.04 by design.
The difference is the way how available updates are presented and offered to the users.
The Mint Updates separates available updates into 5 categories: (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5). The higher the number the higher the potential risk that installing an update may affect overall system stability. By default, the Mint updater will only present and offer updates beloging to categories (1), (2) and (3).
Kernel updates can be found in category (5). Therefore you will never see them and as a consequence never install them.

Solution:
+ Launch the Mint Updater
+ Go to "Edit" => "Preferences"
+ Inside the dialgue box "Preferences", in the columns "Safe" and "Visible" tick all tick boxes for all 5 categories.

From now on the Mint Updater will display and offer the same updates as the Ubuntu updater and roundabout at the same time, including kernel updates.

Kind regards,
Karl
--

Code: Select all

karl@cinnamon ~ $ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 13 Maya
Release:	13
Codename:	maya
karl@cinnamon ~ $ uname -a
Linux cinnamon 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
karl@cinnamon ~ $ 
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Some more reasons for not updating kernel by default, I've detailed here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 47#p590569
teatime

Post by teatime »

Thank you both for your replies but as this is my first mint release (Maya) some tasks are different compared to the upstream vendor which I have used before. But in general as Mint 13 is a LTS release get such packages updated or does mint stick with the released/shipped kernel? However it is a minor problem for me as long Cinnamon, Firefox and OpenJDK get updates.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As shared, you can manually upgrade your kernel by enabling visibility of level 5 upgrades. Aside from that, no, your kernel will not be upgraded by Linux Mint unless there is a critical security issue that warrants possibly breaking user's installations.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Thank you - so it seems that Mint as a distribution with less reboots as the upstream. Very good and all my questions are resolved.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I was curious about this too when I first started using Mint. For my sins, I've enabled the level 5 updates and have the latest Ubuntu kernel, and *touch wood* not had a single issue so far. I sort of did it mostly out of curiosity more than anything, to see if Mint can be broken this way. Thank god the answer is no! I've been taking backup images along the way though, so if I do happen to install some problematic updates, I'll be able to restore my image easily.

But so far Mint has been, and I'm not kidding here, an absolute joy to use. I just love Cinnamon, and I find myself looking forward to using it every day.
frsu

Post by frsu »

After the first release I installed Mint 13. It froze, as all the Ubuntu 12.04 derivates do on my netbook. Hardware / kernel problem as far as I can see.

However 12.10 runs fine. I am not a kernel expert, but I guess the newer kernel is the solution to my problem. Is the Mint download updated on kernels since the original release? Then I would try the latest one if this is available.

Installing a newer kernel on the original Mint will not work for me, it will be frozen before I can do it. :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

12.10 uses kernel 3.6 series, while 12.04 uses kernel 3.2 series. You can safely install kernel 3.4 series on 12.04 also, but 3.6 series is neither tested nor supported for 12.04. Though there is nothing to prevent you from installing 3.6 series on 12.04. (I tried it to fix an issue on my Linux Mint 13 install, but it refused to boot with 3.6--YMMV.) Everything to upgrade your kernel here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

frsu, I think your best bet then may be to wait till November--when Linux Mint 14 is released, which should carry the 3.6 kernel.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Thanks for the tip Vincent. :D

Upgrading a kernel in a fresh install which can freeze at any time is not an option for me, waiting for Mint 14 is then the better solution.

I look forward to November and continue using Zorin Core 5.2 in a altered Gnome lay-out (with Mint menu) untill then. :)
fincoder

Post by fincoder »

I switched from kubuntu to linux mint. And don't regret it. This just feels better. Lighter and ati drivers install easily.
_tab
Level 3
Level 3

Post by _tab »

karlchen wrote:Hello, teatime.

The latest kernel v3.2.0.30 is available for users of Linux Mint 13 as it is for users of Ubuntu 12.04. So Linux Mint is not behind Ubuntu 12.04 by design.
The difference is the way how available updates are presented and offered to the users.
The Mint Updates separates available updates into 5 categories: (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5). The higher the number the higher the potential risk that installing an update may affect overall system stability. By default, the Mint updater will only present and offer updates beloging to categories (1), (2) and (3).
Kernel updates can be found in category (5). Therefore you will never see them and as a consequence never install them.

Solution:
+ Launch the Mint Updater
+ Go to "Edit" => "Preferences"
+ Inside the dialgue box "Preferences", in the columns "Safe" and "Visible" tick all tick boxes for all 5 categories.

From now on the Mint Updater will display and offer the same updates as the Ubuntu updater and roundabout at the same time, including kernel updates.

Kind regards,
Karl
--

Code: Select all

karl@cinnamon ~ $ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 13 Maya
Release:	13
Codename:	maya
karl@cinnamon ~ $ uname -a
Linux cinnamon 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
karl@cinnamon ~ $ 

Does this method apply to the recent release here http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

i.e can the Mint updater be used?

Thanks

Return to “Chat about Linux”