google earth success

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

google earth success

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I just downloaded google earth for linux on my linux mint 13 cinammon. I am impressed there dont' seem to be any problem in it's operation .. everything was almost automatic getting it setup and 10 min is all it took... I sorta expected days of help to get it running.... not counting my chickens yet though.

thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: google earth success

Post by palo »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:I just downloaded google earth for linux on my linux mint 13 cinammon. I am impressed there dont' seem to be any problem in it's operation .. everything was almost automatic getting it setup and 10 min is all it took... I sorta expected days of help to get it running.... not counting my chickens yet though.

thanks,
Nate
This seems to be an answer in search of a question so I have questions as I have never been impressed with GE running in Linux. So before I try again:

Do the fonts look proper - they always looked awful?

The graphics (nvidia) antialising settings were never honored so in flight mode the horizon looked - well not good. Is this any better?

How did you install - Synaptic?
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

Ill start by answering the OP. Yes Earth runs great in Mint, see what happens when Developers package up their wares in a .deb installer? Beautiful ain't it?

Now to answer the second poster: You install goodle earth by downloading their .deb installer (for Ubuntu works fine for Mint).
Then you just double-click the .deb file and click through your install, just like Windows.

Enjoy.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

palo wrote: ........Do the fonts look proper - they always looked awful?......
Google Earth font fix. :arrow: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109484
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

everything looks great there is a whitbox at the top of the main window that sorta looks like an incomplete time line window but it's not ... I have not figured out what it is but it does not affect the usability at all and don't look that bad .... other than that it's great .....
I actually went to the google earth site to download it ....I forget exactly what i did .
what i was bragging about it linux mint 13. It seems to just work ...

thanks,
Nate
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Yes, the empty dialogue box on GE is a known issue. From what I gather it's fixed for the next Cinnamon release, so just hang on a short while. If you click restart Cinnamon it will remove it, though it will reappear when you start the application again.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

GeneC wrote:
palo wrote: ........Do the fonts look proper - they always looked awful?......
Google Earth font fix. :arrow: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109484
I just noticed this today and thought... great. Then saw how much was involved and then the irritation started to set in again. Google uses soooo much of Linux yet when it comes to stuff like this - they treat us like second class. Why the heck can't they supply the app to us out of the box that works as well as it does in Windows. Jumping through hoops like that to make it work right is just wrong>>>end of rant.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”