Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merc1973

Re: Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Post by merc1973 »

proxima_centauri wrote:
merc1973 wrote:Quick question, should I Blacklist as soon as the nVidia driver is installed or wait after reboot?
Right after installation.
Thanks, I did that but now I only have terminal... There is no output message after blacklisting nouveau driver, is that normal? Followed as directed for latest 64bit driver on a fresh LMDE 1204 64bit install. It tells me there is not device or screen detected. Suggestions?

Edit#1-
I tried to follow the same instructions (from the first page and the alternate suggestion on the second page) through terminal only and it cant find the package previously downloaded to the desktop. I tried 'cd desktop' but no such directory exist? I even logged in as 'su'. Used 'sudo nano' to check the X-file and its pretty bare however shows the latest driver 295.49 at the top. Yes, I'm noob. :oops:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Smxi is just the way to go. It flat out rocks :mrgreen:
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

merc1973 wrote: and it cant find the package previously downloaded to the desktop. I tried 'cd desktop' but no such directory exist? I even logged in as 'su'. Used 'sudo nano' to check the X-file and its pretty bare however shows the latest driver 295.49 at the top. Yes, I'm noob. :oops:
To navigate to desktop, use this command as regular user
cd ~/Desktop
merc1973

Post by merc1973 »

proxima_centauri wrote:
merc1973 wrote: and it cant find the package previously downloaded to the desktop. I tried 'cd desktop' but no such directory exist? I even logged in as 'su'. Used 'sudo nano' to check the X-file and its pretty bare however shows the latest driver 295.49 at the top. Yes, I'm noob. :oops:
To navigate to desktop, use this command as regular user
cd ~/Desktop
Thanks,
I was able to find the file following this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03WSr8uFpos) and agreed to the license agreement for nVidia products but it wouldnt actually install. I even removed the nouveau driver since blacklisting did nothing and I still only have terminal.

xserver info:

merc1973

Post by merc1973 »

Update: Looks like my GPU (GeForce Gt 525m) uses Optimus so thats where my problems may reside. I will probably reinstall LMDE :( and research more about disabling Optimus and or using BumbleBee.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

merc1973, i don't have an Optimus card (so i'm a bit unaware if those problems) but check these links
http://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
http://suwako.nomanga.net/
they might help you
alakin

Post by alakin »

I have just done a fresh install of LMDE xfce having been put off doing an upgrade by the issues people are having. I would like to install the nvidia drivers but the legacy packages mentioned e.g. nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms do not appear to exist. All of the packages refer to newer cards. I have a GeForce FX 5500. Which packages do I now need?

I have just installed "nvidia-detect":

Code: Select all

alan@avocet ~ $ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] [10de:0326] (rev a1)
Your card is only supported up to the 173.14 legacy drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
package.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

alakin,
nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx migrated to testing 2 days ago (and as you can see in this link it was not there before
- so basically (as in all similar situations) you have 2 options:
1- wait for UP5;
2- change temporarily the repos to testing, grab the relevant pkgs and came back to latest;
alakin

Post by alakin »

OK thanks zerozero. I wasn't sure whether that was the case or whether there had been another name change of the packages and I needed to look for something else. Also, having been a little slow on picking up the distribution upgrade I was expecting to find other comments on the forum from nvidia legacy users.
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

I dont use repo for nvidia, I download latest drivers.
295.20 did not work for me
295.59 - worked but problems with googleearth

so I go for "Latest Short Lived Branch version" if "Latest Long Lived Branch version" has issues.

Download from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html save to home dir

$ su
go to CLI (MATE-mdm, GNOME-gdm, KDE-kdm....)

# service mdm stop
remove NUVEAU

# apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau1a
blacklist it, just in case

# echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf 
if nvidia installed over synaptic, remove first

# apt-get remove nvidia*

# cd /home/USERNAME
# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-302.17.run 
Install the drivers, when done

# nvidia-xconfig
# reboot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all of this does not work, try using DDM

# ddm
that should be it :)
Last edited by drcasper on Wed May 15, 2013 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
alakin

Post by alakin »

Thanks drcasper.

I do find this legacy driver issue very confusing. All the different options available: Long Lived, Short Lived, Legacy GPU. It looks like a lottery - try this one and if it breaks your system try the next one etc. I thought that using a debian based distro there would be a driver to match the current kernel and that would be it?
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Here some good news I like to share about Nvidia proprietary driver installation:

Hardware: PNY Quadro 600 (Nvidia) GPU, Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard with i7 3930K CPU - see my signature below for details.

Linux Mint 13 Maya 64 bit (UEFI boot)

Nvidia driver: Nvidia proprietary or Nouveau open source driver

LM13 installed by default with the Nouveau open source driver. The Hardware driver applet reminded me of the Nvidia proprietary driver. I ran the hardware driver application and it suggested/selected the 295... Nvidia driver to be installed. I pressed the "Activate" button, the driver downloaded and installed and it told me to reboot to activate. After reboot the Nvidia driver ran without any issue!

I later decided to go back to the open source Nouveau driver (since I wanted to first install the Xen kernel) and ran the hardware driver applet again. Selected to deactivate the Nvidia driver, which it did. Rebooted and I'm now back to the Nouveau driver.

It couldn't have been easier! I was prepared to get a text screen and manually adjust configurations, but it just worked.

Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky with the Xen installation. Still not working (not booting).

Nice work on the hardware driver application!
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
WOteB

Post by WOteB »

Hello, I'm new here and interested in LMDE. I've an Acer Aspire 9300. This laptop runs perfect installed with the 32 bits version, also with the Nvidia driver installed. No problem.
BUT, when iI try to install or even run the 64 Bit version I got only a strange display with blinking stuff. Is there a way to run and install the 64 bits version of LMDE on that Acer laptop?
With plain Debian 64 bits works with Squeeze and also upgraded to Wheezy (the motor of LMDE) it is running perfect.

For interested persons, I run a script to install the Nvidia driver on Debian:

http://www.unixmen.com/script-to-instal ... one-click/
Just replace squeeze with wheezy and it runs perfect.
Aalexeey

Post by Aalexeey »

zerozero
Does it mean I'll be able to install "173xx" driver for My FX5500. I have this problem now: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=111593 , and had never ever such .... before. The "173xx" driver is the latest for FX5500 and works fine, all next NV drivers are absolutely uncompatible.

Thanks, updated from Debian testing, to "173", the system fine and fast again. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Aalexeey,
your card is supported by the 2nd method in the first page of this topic;
so, if the system is fully updated the following should install the nvidia drivers for you

apt install nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx build-essential
nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Aalexeey

Post by Aalexeey »

zerozero
Thanks, I did it with the simpliest GUI way for not advanced Linux users, from the Debian testing via Synaptic.
The 2nd way "by zerozero on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:38 am"
lordofthemorning

Post by lordofthemorning »

I'm sorry, but i still don't get it.

I have an Nvidia MX 4000. According to one source i need the 96.43.xx kernel. according to another the 173.

Opening a terminal in Linux Mint 12 and typing those codes get me nowhere.

Just fooling around got me to a malfunctioning OS and i had to wipe it and reinstall. This time i'd like to do it right...

I can't find an exact guide for Linux Mint 12, legacy cards, which tells exactly and in the right order which exact codes to type. If i need to add a repository, that already is a challenge for me, it would be great if such things too, are explaned in the nvidia-driver guide :)

Can anyone help me out?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

lordofthemorning wrote: Can anyone help me out?
i will try :) this guide is for LMDE and you are running Mint 12 (lisa), won't work in any way :oops:
please open a support topic in the appropriate place >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=59
Meister Eckhardt

Post by Meister Eckhardt »

I went through hell with this on my Lenovo G480 Ideapad - Optimus (there's a conflict between Sandy Bridge and the Nvidia card) and reformatted at least 6 times.

The Nvidia card is a Geforce 610M.

I installed Cinnamon 64 bit and eventually got my wifi working through a USB dongle (that's another story for another thread. Yes, it's the STA drivers for the 4313 card by the way and not the B43) and installed the drivers from Nvidia. Big mistake, 640 x 480 resolution.

Eventually I found the bumblebee page;

bumblebee-project.org

I followed the instruction to a tee and it all worked out fine. Others are saying that you need to edit the Xorg.config file but for me it's all worked out fine without it.

I hope this helps others out, I was nearly frantic enough to throw in the towel and just load Win 7 in. I would have felt like the world's biggest loser every time I booted up if I had given in without going through so many hurdles.
JTJaskot

Post by JTJaskot »

Did you follow the instructions for Debian or for Ubuntu? I've got a Dell/Alienware M11x R2 and I'm hoping to install Bumblebee on my machine as it has Intel and Nvidia graphics.

Return to “LMDE Archive”