Ubuntu vs Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickm1945

Ubuntu vs Mint

Post by rickm1945 »

What is the difference between installing Linux Mint 13 Mate or Uuntu 12.04 and using Mate Desktop? Am I better off to use Linux Mint 13 Mate or Ubuntu 12.04 with Mint desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jes-13

Re: Ubuntu vs Mint

Post by jes-13 »

Basically they use a different window (desktop) manager. The system is the same...

Code: Select all

Linux <hostname> 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
... from my Mint13 computer

Ubuntu has gone to Unity as the default and in general likes to restrict certain system configuration, like login screen customization and even the ability to autohide desktop panels. :?

Mint w/MATE looks/feels more gnome like.

I prefer to be able to "get at" the system when I want w/minimal interferance and I like the classic gnome look. IMHO if you're doing a new install, use Mint...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

The main difference I saw between U12.04 (Unity + other desktops installed) and M13 (Mate, Cinnamon and Xfce versions, with other desktops installed) is that Mint 13 was always more reliable.

On ubuntu I had continual hassles with: (a)FF+flashplayer doing all kinds of weird stuff, apparently unfixable (b)bad vlc sound, (c)problems recording thru wine, and finally a regular update wiped out my icons, which made some programs, like synaptic, a real PITA to use. On mint I had (c)*, but updates have been painless. (*64-bit wine needs some libs that don't get installed automagically, then pulseAudio will like it).

There's some differences in default packages (both install too many, IMHO), but they're equivalent.

I vote for Linux Mint 13 Mate.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Rick,

This is of course only one piece of data, but I tried Ubuntu and Mint both, and Mint just worked, and Ubuntu didn't. Most things worked ok in Ubunta, but I have one program I use (and won't give up) that Mint just runs, no problems, that sends Ubuntu off in the weeds. I think it is something about my system that is likely the problem, so my experience may not at all apply to you. The bottom line, though, Mint works, Ubuntu doesn't (and I read the Ubuntu forums, and at least two forums associated with the program, and posted asking for advice several places, never was able to make it work). I really get the impression that Mint goes somewhat farther in providing a great out-of-the-box experience.

Also, like some of the others said, I really just find the Mint experience more open, less, I dunno, corporate, maybe? Obviously, if you come to the Mint Forums, you are likely to find a lot of people who prefer Mint, or we wouldn't be here. ;)

Really, though this probably doesn't help, probably the best way to know is direct experience: Install distros that appeal to you, use each of them a few days, try to make them work with what you need to do, and see how things sort out. That is one of the many things I love about Linux! There are lots of distros available, and they are completely free to try (other than your time).

Good luck exploring Linux!

Caerolle :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Mint has a lot of Mint apps, other apps, and configurations that make things easier. I think a great example of this is mint update. Ubuntu updates, while being better than they used to, can easily break things (especially xorg updates - they break lots of things). Mint Update classifies updates based on their saftey. This means that kernel and xorg updates, which can be harmful, are blocked unless otherwise specified.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I recommend Linux Mint over any other distro!! If you do care about stability, flexibility, elegance and userfriendlines and everything that we expect an OS to offer then Mint is the one for you. It just rocks man!! It's an out-of-the-box OS with a mint aftertaste that you will experience all the way through!! No hiccups and no headaches with Minty Mint! If I have to choose between Windows 8, Mac OS Moutain Lion and Linux Mint, I would go for Mint over "Windose 800" and "Mac OS Moutain Monkey" :D !!

When it comes to Ubuntu I would say it's a great OS. Actually it was my first Linux experience. But it is a student-surpasses-the-mentor story. Ubuntu has outlived its glory. It's an old lion an obsolete mentor like Debian now. Linux Mint is simply miles ahead!! No OS compares to it!!!!! But with Linux you're always a winner!!

Always keep in mind "In a World Without Fences and Walls.... Who Needs Gates and Windows"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

If MATE is your preferred DE, your OS should be one that is tailored to suit MATE. Mint 13 MATE is, Ubuntu 12.04 isn't. The same reason you should go with Ubuntu if you prefer Unity.
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

The repositories are handled a little different. I've noticed that Ubuntu updates do not automatically get applied to LinuxMint, seems there is some focus here on not letting Ubuntu's updates break our OS.

But the main difference you'll see between Mint and Ubuntu w/Mate, is the package selection (default software loadout).

Personally, one of the many reasons I switched to Mint from Ubuntu, was that Mint comes out of the box with my favorite software installed. Ubuntu did not.

And if you like the Mate desktop environment, why not show your support for the Distro behind it and use Mint instead of Ubuntu.

I was a Ubuntu/Debian user for years. But Mint won me over with the Mate desktop and their package selection.. The only thing I wish for, is more support and users in these forums. (and maybe add gnome-games to the default install :-))
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I suggest an ultimate edition of Linux Mint with all Linux MInt desktops, software and themes preinstalled and preconfigured for absolute beginners to work offline. I have a small entreprise for fixing and formatting PCs and I use Linux Mint as default OS and everytime I format a PC I have to download all the software which are actually very popular on the web (like skype; aMSN,FF Multi Converter,Wine, PlayONLinux, Google Chrome, Compiz, Conky, Mozilla Addons, additional themes and wallpapers, Unetbootin, MintStick, splash screens......).

I gurantee that it will be a great push for Linux Mint worldwide. It ccan actually be released last after KDE. And always remember the golden role "DEVELOP OR DIE".

If you support this idea plz folow up at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=118120

Return to “Chat about Linux”