Linux Mint Start Page > use StartPage or other not Google

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamvaru

Linux Mint Start Page > use StartPage or other not Google

Post by jamvaru »

Hi, you use Google search on the LM startpage

how bout changing this to ANYthing else... except for bing, i guess, lol; though, even bing would be better than google, imo; but not much

ok, so there are several alternatives to google
it is ok to use google for some things, just not by default; wherever possible, something else should be used; this is just the way it should be... it is google's fault, not ours

so... some other search, that is all/// you could use dogpile, or metacrawler, which both use google, of course; perhaps there is a better meta-search site to use?
i suppose there is some ad revenue from google? is it really worth it?

anyways, here's hoping something else is used for the search on the LInux Mint Start Page, like STARTPAGE ;]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
3fRI

Re: Linux Mint Start Page > use StartPage or other not Googl

Post by 3fRI »

There are a few alternatives, e.g., DuckDuckGo or IXQuick... :lol:
d00med

Post by d00med »

Is your issue with Goggle over privacy concerns?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Why is there any search there? It is just a little awkward since there is a button that makes you think you are going to do a search on Mint but it is not working like that (maybe it did at one time?). Why isn't it just beautiful and Minty with the most useful links and news. Most people are going to change their start page just as fast as the background after installing anyway.

Pat
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

palo wrote:Why is there any search there? It is just a little awkward since there is a button that makes you think you are going to do a search on Mint but it is not working like that (maybe it did at one time?). Why isn't it just beautiful and Minty with the most useful links and news. Most people are going to change their start page just as fast as the background after installing anyway.

Pat
yeah, just remove the google block and go with a news feed; all browsers have a search box built in

lol

;]

*i still have LM startpage as my startpage, i enjoy its minty sunshine

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”