LMDE on the Asus UX32vd

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Tortel

LMDE on the Asus UX32vd

Post by Tortel »

I just got a UX32vd, and spent a few days tinkering with different Linux distros on it (Arch, Gentoo, Debian, and finally Mint).
Some of the hardware in it is a little tricky to get working, so I thought that I may as well share what I did.

Wired adapter
Worked out of the box. You will need to use until you get the wireless set up.

Wireless
The wireless is an Intel Centuino Advanced N 6235 agn, and uses the iwlwifi driver. It also needs a newer ucode to work. Direct link here (latest as of writing), or check the 6030 section here.
Download it, extract it, and copy it to /lib/firmware:

Code: Select all

sudo cp iwlwifi-60002gb-6.ucode /lib/firmware/
After a reboot, you should be able to scan for networks, but connecting may not work.
I found that with power saving on, it wont connect to anything (Seems to be fixed with kernel 3.6-rc4). Run this command to turn off power saving:

iwconfig wlan0 power off
After that, it should connect. I would set up a script on login/boot to run that command (I made an init.d script)

Sleep
Sleep works right away, but it takes ~10sec to start up if you use the iSSD. To make it wake up faster, you will need to edit /etc/default/grub and add the following to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:

libata.force=nohrst
This forces the system to not use hard resets. This may have a side effect if you are using the mechanical drive, but I replaced it with a Crucial M4 so I dont know.

Touchpad
I found that the touchpad sensitivity was not to my liking, it would stop tracking my finger sometimes depending on how I touched it.
It can be adjusted through the Synaptic xorg options, I added this as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "touchpad catchall"
       Driver "synaptics"
       MatchIsTouchpad "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
       Option "TapButton1" "1"
       Option "TapButton2" "2" #Two finger tap = right click
       Option "TapButton3" "3" #Three finger tap = 3rd mouse button (Middle click)
       Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
       Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
       Option "FingerLow" "5"
       Option "FingerHigh" "15"
EndSection
You may need to create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ dir, I don't remember if it was there or not.

Discreet nVidia card
I dont really know how to get this working, but you can download/compile the bbswitch module, and use that to turn it off. (There are Debian packages too, but I use the source myself)
I have a script that runs at boot to load it and turn it off automatically (I would post more, but its an odd setup).

You could check more information on the Bumblebee project to see if you can get it to work - I'm not that interested in trying now.

Control keys
I cant think of a good name for this section, but its the fn+F1-F12 keys.
These will not work with the stock (As of writing) 3.2 kernel. Sorry, don't have an easy fix for that other than to upgrade kernels (More later).
The brightness keys will not work, even with a 3.6-rc kernel. There are workarounds though.
I found these two scripts somewhere (I think a Ubuntu form thread or wiki), and I bound them to ctrl+shift+f5/f6:
brightness_inc:

#!/bin/bash
pkexec /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --set-brightness $(expr $(/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --get-brightness) + 1)
brightness_dec:

#!/bin/bash
pkexec /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --set-brightness $(expr $(/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-backlight-helper --get-brightness) - 1)
Others
Everything else seemed to work out of the box. I haven't checked the card reader with the stock kernel, but it uses the rts5139 driver (In staging) - check lsmod for it.

Compiling a new kernel
Compiling a new kernel will make the fn keys work, and could speed up boot time.
*Todo*

If you have any other questions, let me know :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Heckie

Re: LMDE on the Asus UX32vd

Post by Heckie »

Thank you times 1 million! Can't even begin to tell you how much time this saved me. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”