HOW TO ERASE HARD DRIVE!!!PLEASE, SERIOUS HELP

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
maymaydo

HOW TO ERASE HARD DRIVE!!!PLEASE, SERIOUS HELP

Post by maymaydo »

Im not completely new to erasing hard drives. Ive tried DBAN, and an older version of it, neither worked. Then i tried creating a boot disk and entering code. I get to the point where it says A:\> and then idk what to enter. if anyone can help it would be awesome. i just bought this hard drive and put Mint on it and i couldnt figure out how to install a virtual machine so i was gonna wipe the drive and install ubuntu to see if it would be easier to install a virtual machine on that cause i cant figure it out on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keet

Re: HOW TO ERASE HARD DRIVE!!!PLEASE, SERIOUS HELP

Post by keet »

If you want to clear your hard drive, just tell Ubuntu to use the entire disk when you go through the installation from the LiveCD. Alternately, you could just boot from the disc and click the option to try Ubuntu instead of installation it, then use gparted, fdisk, parted, or whichever other utility you choose in the LiveCD environment.

You want to install Ubuntu because you had trouble installing a virtual machine? Seriously? Did you try VirtualBox? It's quite easy to make virtual machines with this program. What kind of virtual machine is it, and what do you want to use it for?
maymaydo

Post by maymaydo »

yeah I tried virtualbox. it just wasnt working on this. i want a virutal machine so i can run windows and so i can run a game and other things that dont work with linux. i installed wine and the game still doesnt work.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Wine may take some work to get Windows applications to work with, it usually pays to read up on the AppDB entry for the game over at WineHQ (http://appdb.winehq.org/).

Installing Windows inside Oracle VirtualBox may work better as that offers a true virtual machine (you'll have to configure it properly to share 3D hardware and such).

BTW, this is not magically different on Ubuntu--you can also install Wine or VirtualBox on Ubuntu, but any other virtualization software you could download or purchase for on Ubuntu (like VMware) would run also on Linux Mint. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so anything that works in Ubuntu works in Linux Mint. But use whatever works for you :wink: Like keet shared, the Ubuntu installer will happily erase your hard disk during installation.
maymaydo

Post by maymaydo »

AWESOME! thanks for all of your help! So should the newest version of virtualbox work just fine?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you are on Linux Mint 13, just find and install the package "virtualbox" to get a recent version of VirtualBox installed (4.1.12). When you have created a new virtual machine, select it and click the Settings button in the toolbar. Under Display, mark the "Enabled 3D acceleration" and give it lots of Video Memory. Then when you have installed your guest operating system to the virtual machine, with the virtual machine running and you logged in to the guest operating system, from the virtual machine's menu select Devices > Install Guest Additions. This will mount a virtual CD with the guest additions you need to install on the guest operating system to make it work better on VirtualBox.
maymaydo

Post by maymaydo »

how do i access internet in the virtual machine?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, yes. On Ubuntu 12.04 / Linux Mint 13 you need again go to the Settings of the virtual machine, the under Network change "Attached to" from NAT to Bridged.
maymaydo

Post by maymaydo »

AWESOME! your great.
now how do I install something from a cd to a virtual machine?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

IIRC, start the virtual machine, then select Devices > CD/DVD Devices > Host Drive...

Edit: I saw another post from you on the same topic. Please don't cross-post the same subject to multiple topics :wink: I've deleted your other topic.

Return to “Open Chat”