WUBI install for Mate 13: is it possible?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaComboMan

WUBI install for Mate 13: is it possible?

Post by DaComboMan »

After test driving Mate 13 (via Virtual Clone Drive), i admit having finally found the perfect "mate". :P

Problem is, i don't want to install and not be able to un-install if it displeases me at that point.
The virtual installation doesn't always behave in the same manner as the "physical" one on the hard drive.
It is also good to keep Windows for compatibility issues.

So. Is it possible to install Mate 13 and safely remove it (WUBI style) if i eventually change my mind?

Windows 7 Home Ed. .64bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: WUBI install for Mate 13: is it possible?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 13 MATE 64 bit edition has a Windows installer (clone of Wubi), as you can see on the downloads page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I can recommend upgrading to MATE 1.4 after installing, brings a lot of bigfixes and some new features (see this topic for how to do this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p624015).
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Okay. I'm all for the upgrade process but first things first.

Clicking on installing LM icon doesn't give me the option to install within/alongside Windows but brings me to an already divided series of partitions.
The one to top left said something like loop0.
Is this part of the setup?
I didn't see any existing Windows partitions in that setup.

Should i install via DVD instead of Virtual Clone Drive?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Install to loop0, that is the virtual partition on your Windows partition.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Goccha!

That was loop2 btw.

It may be a bit too early to give a definite approval nod but it's looking good so far!

Now if i can find a thread dedicated to the best MATE tips/tricks...
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Installation update.

After finding MATE not too much to my liking (side by side with Windows 7), i decided to take the plunge and overwrite the later with MATE.
The installation process was quite long (updating system according to Vincents' lead which required at least 5 interventions by user to decide on y/n situations not so easy for a newbie) but well worth the effort. Phew! Needless to say LM works much better on its own.

Still looking for a specific thread for MATE users...

Just prior to overwriting Windows, i had tested Helena (CD instead of DVD was quite handy) and there was a program that could let you know the status of your hard disk (one sector was in bad condition). I don't see this program in MATE, can someone make a recommendation here or should i start a new thread?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That program hasn't been converted (yet) to MATE. You can install it from Gnome, the package to install is gnome-disk-utility. It works fine together with MATE.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Thanks again Vincent!

Disk Utility works fine as you said.
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Yes, wubi install is possible, just did it today.

Return to “Installation & Boot”