[SOLVED] Data Recovery

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwisher

[SOLVED] Data Recovery

Post by kwisher »

Hello all,

The other night I was trying to partion my hard disk for dual booting with my existing WinXP. I accidently managed to wipe out all my partitions. Luckily my data partition was backed-up on my Fedora-8 Samba server. After searching the internet for "linux data recovery", I came across an article (http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/ ... linux.aspx). In the article there is a line of code:

bash# dd conv=noerror if=/dev/sda1 of=/root/recovery.img

After executing this command, it started running and creating a image file on my server until the file reached 2GB in size and it stopped. Can anyone point me in the right direction? There is some data that I need to recover that wasn't in my last backup.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Data Recovery

Post by kwisher »

Someone pointed me to this application:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Can someone please help me get this installed on Mint? I need detailed instructions. Please forgive my ignorance, I am somewhat new to Linux.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's in the repo's. Go to synaptic, look for testdisk, right click, mark for installation, hit apply at the top and your golden.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Ok, got that done. Now is it available from the menu/gui or do I need to run it from a terminal?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

sudo testdisk in terminal
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Thanks to everyone who responded. Testdisk app did the trick. Everyone needs to have this in their emergency toolbox no matter what OS you run.

Do I need to mark this subject as solved ? If so, how?

Return to “Hardware Support”