[SOLVED] change password for live user session

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
razedafear

[SOLVED] change password for live user session

Post by razedafear »

Hi

I am booting Mint 13 Maya using a USB flash disk (live user session). However i want to change the existing live user password. The existing password is simply blank. but once i try to change it, it asks me to enter existing password, so i cant leave it blank. How should i change the password for the live sessions now??

Any help??

Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: change password for live user session

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Ok, to avoid that problem, open a terminal, type in "sudo su" and press enter.
Now enter "passwd" and press enter.
Type in the pass you want twice.

Done.
razedafear

Post by razedafear »

changed the password with sudo su..created a password but did not work. it still shows Invalid password when i try to change it, note that i am trying to changing password for a liver user session.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Enter: "passwd {username}"
razedafear

Post by razedafear »

Hi

I finally managed to change the password, but when lock the screen, turns out it does not get locked. when i mouse the touchpad the desktop comes back without asking the password.

Attaching screenshot for settings
settings.png
razedafear

Post by razedafear »

Hi guys

please ignore my last post.. Thanks @sagirfahmid3... the issue is solved now. i just checked it. :)
sagirfahmid3

Re: [SOLVED] change password for live user session

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Putting a password on a live USB doesn't make it secure anyways...Someone can just change the boot parameter and login as root without entering a password, or easier yet, they can use their own Linux live CD/USB and plug in your drive and the Home folder would be right there...visible. There are no Linux (encrypted) live .isos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”