Slow Internet using wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mart

Slow Internet using wireless

Post by Mart »

Hi, I've recently installed Linux Mint Maya on my Toshiba Satallite L30.

Using a wired connection the internet is fine, but using wireless the internet is very slow. I've used this laptop with windows 7/Vista wirelessly without a problem, and I have another laptop and desktop using Windows 7 wirelessly without a problem. So the wireless signal from the netgear router is quite good. I've got the laptop networked to the Windows machines as well, but this is also slow over wireless

Would this suggest a problem with the wireless driver?

Appreciate some help on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Slow Internet using wireless

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
GringoDeLobo

Post by GringoDeLobo »

Have you ever figured this one out?

I am having the same problem with my HP EliteBook 8530p (Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300).
hakgu

Post by hakgu »

Hi..

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. When I installed Mint 13 Maya (64-bit), downloaded Oct 12 from the official source, I thought my computer had broken, because the installation took +24 hours. Literally and seriously. Because I connected to my WLAN in order to pull down the latest versions while installing....

Today, I ran a speed-test using WLAN, which resulted in 156 kb/s downstream. The upstream failed due to timeout. I plugged in the cable - connecting it directly to the same wireless router - and re-ran the test. This time I got 16.98 Mb/s down, 1.02 Mb/s up, and 23 ms ping.

To test this, I booted the very same computer using an Ubuntu 11.04 CD that I had lying around, and ran a Wireless test achieving the same result as with Mint via the cable.

Thus I conclude that the issue is not with my router, not with my hardware, but with Linux Mint.

Funny thing is, in Ubuntu when connected to my WLAN, it says it has a 54 Mb/s connection when the same in Mint says 1 Mb/s.

..Cheers
..Håkan
kvnsmith

Post by kvnsmith »

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I've found a couple of suggestions online but none have worked for me. I'm on an HP Envy 14 and the internet is doggedly slow, sometimes won't work at all. I ran Ubuntu with the same problem, Windows 7 has no problem. In a VirtualBox on the Win7 machine, it also seemed fine from what I remember though I should maybe set that up again to be sure. Anyway, it seems as though it's purely a Linux problem unless routers somehow block Linux traffic and allow Windows traffic. That seems unlikely.
slumdog

Post by slumdog »

Hello,
I have the same problem.
Checked everything :laptop, router, signal, ISP, and the conclusion is that the Linux Mint is the problem.
I have installed Linux Mint 14.

Anyone has a resolution on this?

Thank you
kiraitachi

Post by kiraitachi »

Hi was having the same problems and gave with the SOLUTION:

What worked for me

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
After that delete the name server code in mine shows:

nameserver "whatever number"
nameserver "whatever number" 
The whatever number should be the OPEN DNS codes that I think it is 206.200 or something like that just google it, but anway we are going to take that off.
And go to network settings>wireless and below should say DNS.
Mines where 80.58.61.250 80.58.61.254 so what I did is put in the resolv.conf

nameserver 80.58.61.250
nameserver 80.58.61.254

Return to “Networking”