Enable LM13 to switch user

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SteveWright

Enable LM13 to switch user

Post by SteveWright »

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me understand how to enable LM13 to switch users while one user is still active (e.g. not logged off)? LM12 had this by default and this seems to have disappeared in LM13. It's such a nifty feature.

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Enable LM13 to switch user

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SteveWright.

It seems to be a widely spread misunderstanding that the switch user functionality which allows you to open a second (Cinnamon) desktop without logging off from the first desktop has been removed from Linux Mint 13.
Good news: It has not been removed. :)
Open the Mint Menu. Go to the sub-menu named System Tools. There you will find the item New login. This is the old "switch user" renamed.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
SteveWright

Post by SteveWright »

DING DONG! Brilliant thanks Karl.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Steve.
You're welcome. :)
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
SteveWright

Post by SteveWright »

Hi Karl,

A slight problem with the New Login function. When I log out of my second uer account and back into my primary account, the system is locked, the screen will not display, windows will not move. The whole system is locked. The solution on LM12 worked perfectly......

Any advice anyone?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SteveWright.

Will have to check out what happens here when using "New Login" and returning to the initial user session.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
dobromirdinkov

Post by dobromirdinkov »

It's so anoyng that I'm planing to move to another version of LM or Ubuntu
The solution described up is not good option because:
1. If you stand from the computer and computer is locked automatically than my wife cannot use it before I logged-in back in order to choose this famous New Login windows
2. Even if I do this - thna if she stand up and I need to log-in to my session it's not possible because the screen is locked with her account

Why the quality getting low, this functionality exist from so long time, it's not an news since windows 95 on almost every Desktop OS :(
yurmuki

Post by yurmuki »

Hey here is the solution I found. Do not get dissappointed.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/671

I found the cause and solution. The new display manager included with LMDE 201204 (Final not RC), MDM, renamed gdmflexiserver to mdmflexiserver. gnome-screensaver, when it brings up the password prompt to unlock, looks to see if gdmflexiserver exists, before it displays the Switch User button. To fix simply enter the following at the terminal:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver

Now the Switch User button will appear when you lock the screen and the prompt appears.

Return to “Other topics”