Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Post by arjay »

Schoelje - re debian-device-manager

In a previous post I reported the successful results of running DDM with an nvidia Ge210 (at least as far as identifying the card goes). I have now tried it with two further nvdia cards.

Ge8500GT
The Ge8500GT card is successfully identified:

Code: Select all

richard@antec ~ $ debian-driver-manager
cat /etc/*-release | grep ebian | wc -l
>>> 5
kdesudo -i /usr/share/linuxmint/logo.png -d --comment "<b>Please enter your password</b>" python /usr/lib/debian-driver-manager/ddm.py
apt-cache policy nvidia-detect
>>> nvidia-detect:
>>> Installed: 302.17-3
>>> Candidate: 302.17-3
>>> Version table:
>>> *** 302.17-3 0
>>> 500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/non-free i386 Packages
>>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
---nvidia-detect:
---Installed: 302.17-3
---installed
lspci | grep VGA
>>> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] (rev a1)
nvidia-detect | grep nvidia- | tr -d ' '
>>> nvidia-glx
apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
>>> nvidia-glx:
>>> Installed: (none)
>>> Candidate: 302.17-3
>>> Version table:
>>> 302.17-3 0
>>> 500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/non-free i386 Packages
---nvidia-glx:
---Installed: (none)
---not installed
lspci | egrep '(Network)|(Broadcom)|(Wireless)'
>>> 01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l
>>> 1
uname -r
>>> 3.2.0-3-486
(still doesn't return to a command prompt after running which I think would be better).

FX5200
Unfortunately, I can't get the PC to boot to a desktop with an old FX5200 card. This sits in an older PCI slot rather than the AGP or Express slots for the other two cards. Not sure if this makes any difference, but the PC will only boot to a terminal prompt. Looking at the Xorg.0.log shows:

EE NVIDIA: Failed to load NVIDIA kernel module - check kernel log for more error messages
II UnloadModule: "nvidia"
No drivers available
No screens found
Xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 304.32  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-12)  Thu Aug  2 19:35:49 PDT 2012

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 295.20  (buildd@murphy)  Wed Feb 15 23:01:16 UTC 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath        "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "dri2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "CRT-1"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 210"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: 1280x1024 +1280+0"
    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
    Option         "TripleBuffer" "false"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "enable"
#	Option      "RENDER"	"disable"
EndSection

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Schoelje,

Please add #linuxmint-dev to your list of auto-joined channels, it's time you join the dev team :)

I was aware of LMDE KDE (which we'll need to consider as well, but that's not as urgent) but this, ddm, that's something we have on our todo list for Mint 14. As you probably know, jockey is being discontinued upstream and we're looking at the opportunity to create a driver manager. One of the key advantages of doing so would be that it would work not only on top of Ubuntu but also on top of Debian.

Your design is good, integrated within mintWelcome, and the idea of adding PAE support is simply brilliant. We need to catch up with you on this, we'll help you get setup and comfortable with github (unless you are already) and we'll hope to finish this in an attempt to get this ready for both Mint 14 and LMDE.

PS: Thanks zerozero for bringing me here. I'm joining the party a little late as usual :)
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

clem wrote:Hi Schoelje,
Please add #linuxmint-dev to your list of auto-joined channels, it's time you join the dev team :)
+1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

clem wrote:it's time you join the dev team :)
+ 1 as well :D
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm finally doing a backup of my system so I can do a nuke and pave to install LMDE KDE. I've made a list of my installed packages (and removing MATE packages) to help me get everything installed in the rebuild but I wanted to ask if there's anything I need to specifically remember before I boot my LiveUSB. I know UP5 is being tested but is there anything that's slipping my memory that I need to pay particular attention to?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Congrats, Schoelje!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

tdockery97 wrote:Congrats, Schoelje!
+1 I was wondering how long it would be before Schoelje was be warmly welcomed into the clan of mint devs. You definitely deserve to be counted among them, Schoelje!

(How did I forget to extend my congrats sooner? /me is ashamed :oops: )
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Wonderful, Schoelje :D
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:You can download unofficial LMDE KDE RC1

These are pointing to the testing UP5 repositories!
If you decide to install and keep it on your system you need to delete "incoming" from the first line in /etc/apt/sources.list as soon as UP5 goes official.

i386
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde3 ... 201208.iso
md5sum: 57959dea9266aa0ed1b7dfc90b876ab4
Is this available on torrents? (Never mind, I read the OP again and saw the answer was already there.) Stupid me didn't check the ISO when I downloaded it last month and got an error about a missing kernel image and when I finally checked the md5sum it was WAY off. I'm needing to resnag the ISO, or should I just stick with the previous lmdekde32_201208.iso image?
Last edited by BostonPeng on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Thank you guys!
The first step is made to an official LMDE KDE.

This week I was back at school (and it's been a loooong while): Master Classes Strategy for the non-profit sector.
So, I haven't been able to check any of my mail or see what's been happening on the forum.
Just imagine my surprise!

I'm still working on ddm and porting that to ubuntu will be quite another matter, but...puzzles need to be solved.
This weekend I'll have some time to check on all the messages.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

First of all I must say, the more I dive in the more I come to love the LMDE community.

Second, very good work Schoelje!
arjay wrote:
FX5200
Unfortunately, I can't get the PC to boot to a desktop with an old FX5200 card. This sits in an older PCI slot rather than the AGP or Express slots for the other two cards. Not sure if this makes any difference, but the PC will only boot to a terminal prompt. Looking at the Xorg.0.log shows:

EE NVIDIA: Failed to load NVIDIA kernel module - check kernel log for more error messages
II UnloadModule: "nvidia"
No drivers available
No screens found
Xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 304.32  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-12)  Thu Aug  2 19:35:49 PDT 2012

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 295.20  (buildd@murphy)  Wed Feb 15 23:01:16 UTC 2012
[/quote]

Ah, I had one of these in an older system, in AGP 8X (128MB), but replaced a while back with FX6200 LE (256MB) after my FX5700 died, for obvious reasons. The FX5xxx series are really old cards, and even in Vista/Win7 they are very difficult to find working drivers for, let alone half-decent performance (think driver version 98.x -- ancient). There's a [url=http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25961-windows-7-with-nvidia-fx-cards/]thread on laptopvideo2go forum on that (FX 5 series & Vista/7)[/url]. It mentions that "nVidia dropped official support after the 9x drivers". :)

So I'm not surprised you can't get it to work with 2xx/3xx driver series on Linux. Support for (non-Quadro) FX 5xxx cards has been "nvidia-legacy" for at least 2-3 years now, IIRC. See: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
The latest legacy driver/series to support the FX 5xxx, as of date, is: 173.14.35. See -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-173.14.35-driver.html

Debian-based howto for FX5200 & nvidia-legacy from 2010: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/7409/howto-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200/

Hope that helps
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

jasmineaura wrote: Ah, I had one of these [FX5200] in an older system, in AGP 8X (128MB), but replaced a while back with FX6200 LE (256MB) after my FX5700 died, for obvious reasons. The FX5xxx series are really old cards, and even in Vista/Win7 they are very difficult to find working drivers for, let alone half-decent performance (think driver version 98.x -- ancient). There's a thread on laptopvideo2go forum on that (FX 5 series & Vista/7). It mentions that "nVidia dropped official support after the 9x drivers". :)

So I'm not surprised you can't get it to work with 2xx/3xx driver series on Linux. Support for (non-Quadro) FX 5xxx cards has been "nvidia-legacy" for at least 2-3 years now, IIRC. See: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
The latest legacy driver/series to support the FX 5xxx, as of date, is: 173.14.35. See -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

Debian-based howto for FX5200 & nvidia-legacy from 2010: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... e-fx-5200/

Hope that helps
Thanks for the research/links. I was really only testing a sample of legacy nvidia cards for Schoelje's Device Driver Manager. You are right the card goes a long way back!! However, it still runs just fine in my media centre where I am running oldish versions of Mythbuntu and/or Mythdora. Also runs OK with Win XP media centre version.

I love it because it is fanless. My Tranquil Media PC is also fanless (as near silent as you can get) and sits next to the TV in our lounge. Because our Spanish house is a nightmare combination of thick stone walls, marble floors and open-plan, it isn't practical/sightly to house a noisier PC in another room and bring a load of cable feeds into the lounge.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I ended up pulling the trigger yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised how quickly it installed and boots up! I noticed a problem with my sound card not working yesterday and last night so this am I started with the BIOS screens looking for a place to make sure it's enabled. I couldn't find anything but I was thinking I may have had my sound muted when I was last in LMDE/MATE + KDE. (I keep a separate /home partition so I didn't have to redo all of my settings.) Today when I booted in the sound was working so I don't know what the problem was.

I'm doing some additional package installs and I need to take my first raft of upgrades but I'm loving how LMDE KDE looks! Great job on the Plymouth and login splash, Schoelje! I may not even switch back to my Debian sunrise/sunset Plymouth themes or my old usual login and splash the new ones look so nice.

Thanks for putting in so much work on the respin, Schoelje. Now that I'm running it I can see even better how much you've done for us LMDE/KDE fans. I owe you several rounds of drinks. :lol:
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Congrats on being asked to join the Mint Dev team Schoelje, your hard work deserves recognition.

Just one question though (that you may not have the answer to as yet), will this appointment mean that you will have to install the main Mint packages? Previous posts in this thread asked what we (as users) wanted included, with these not being in the official distro.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I finally got to try the Plymouth Manager for Debian and I have to say I love it! It's so much easier to use than EZswitch that I killed the switcher.

I have a question for you guys: I was running KDE 4.8.4 from the Qt/KDE repos before I rebuilt my laptop but I see LMDE KDE 4.7.4. Would you guys recommend my going back to that repo or can I look for KDE 4.8.4 to be available in the normal LMDE repos? Or is there yet another source I don't know about?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Fandangio wrote:Just one question though (that you may not have the answer to as yet), will this appointment mean that you will have to install the main Mint packages? Previous posts in this thread asked what we (as users) wanted included, with these not being in the official distro.
No, as for now Clem is only interested in the Debian Driver Manager so that it can be used in the upcoming Linux Mint 14 as well. I'll have to change the name though, because it'll have to run on Ubuntu as well. Arjay's suggestion "Device Driver Manager" sounds very good and it still has the same abbreviation: DDM :D
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:I have a question for you guys: I was running KDE 4.8.4 from the Qt/KDE repos before I rebuilt my laptop but I see LMDE KDE 4.7.4. Would you guys recommend my going back to that repo or can I look for KDE 4.8.4 to be available in the normal LMDE repos? Or is there yet another source I don't know about?
I suppose you haven't downloaded RC1? That one was already updated to 4.8.4.
Updating the UP4 version to UP5 (which, as far as I know, is not official yet) did not pose any problems...but you could also wait until I upload the UP5 iso when UP5 goes official.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

BostonPeng, qt-kde is empty because 4.8.4 moved to sid in june and then to testing;
as Schoelje is saying it's already in the LMDE KDE RC1 and will be in UP5, so if you d/led the first iso just wait a few days.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I actually had a borked RC1 ISO so I just went with the UP4 ISO that I already had. What do you guys recommend for my getting the RC? It's been so long since I dealt with things like that I forgot the proper procedures.

@Schoelje:
I could probably wait but I'd like to get it sooner if I can. I had completely forgotten the UP4 kernel won't let me mount my USB external drive.

[ETA]Great Mother I'm being a bloody idjot today! I didn't put the right sources in my list so I'm making the edits now and will check for upgrades once my Mint 12 KDE VM finishes with its updates.[/ETA]

Did you see my comment about debian-welcome? I'm not seeing it now so I may have forgotten to actually post it but I'm still getting it on boot despite clearing the checkbox to show it on every login.

@ZZ:
I hadn't even checked to see if Qt/KDE had anything yet, I just remembered using them as a source in the past. Unfortunately not being able to mount my external drive means I can't get at my old sources.list since stupid me forgot to copy the file to my /home partition before I nuked the old root partition.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Good job Schoelje and congrats! I just did a full install to a usb stick and it looks really good. So far no issues :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”