Best way to install newest version of Darktable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
NicoleCtrl

Best way to install newest version of Darktable?

Post by NicoleCtrl »

I'm new to LMDE (currently using 2012 LMDE XFCE). I previously used Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives so I'm a bit unaccustomed to all the software versions being a bit outdated in Debian. I understand that LMDE is based on Debian Testing, which is fine and I understand the benefits of that now, but for at least one program, Darktable, I really would like the newest version, which is at 1.0.5. How should I go about this? My problem is that usually I'm awful at manually installing from .deb files, and from my knowledge it wouldn't be as easy to upgrade in the future, so I'd like to handle this from the software center or Synaptic. On the other hand, I actually like Testing and don't really want to enable Sid. I'm okay with all my other software being a bit outdated and more stable. So how do I install the newest version of this one program without telling my system I want it to start notifying me of Sid versions of everything else? I hope that makes some sense... thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Best way to install newest version of Darktable?

Post by zerozero »

the upcoming UP5 is bringing 1.0.4.
is that new enough or do you need features only available in 1.0.5?

i had a quick glance at the building instructions and they look very very straightforward
http://www.darktable.org/install/
(it's not an app that i use but i might compile it just because :D )
NicoleCtrl

Post by NicoleCtrl »

1.0.4 is fine with me. Do you know about when UP5 is coming out, though?

It's a really sophisticated but user-friendly program. I suggest installing it to see the state of modern FOSS graphics software.

The building instructions might be easy but doesn't software center take care of a lot of details that would be confusing for a newbie otherwise? Like, with software center it knows what dependencies I need but don't have and installs them unless I have a newer version already, and when uninstalling the software it reverses the changes easily, including dependencies. Also using APT upgrade/update/etc I can later on install new versions and it will manage previous dependencies and files and do whatever changes are necessary automatically. If I just download a .deb don't I have to keep track of and do all that myself both now and later on when I upgrade? Just seems like a huge hassle for a newbie...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

UP5 can hit latest any day now: tomorrow, in a few days, next week.

re: the question "install through the standard channels or compile" the latter is a necessity when:
- the pkg can't be found in the repos;
- the version available is too old and lacks several key features;

compiling is also an option "for fun": it's really pleasant to see all that code flying by and in the end have a new shiny app that you made :D

but the app that you compile are static, meaning that they don't update automatically through the system updates; if you want/need a newer version you compile it again.
widget

Post by widget »

Was just on the website. Thanks for asking about this. I never heard of it. Will be checking it out.

1.0.4 and 1.0.5 were released less than 2 months apart.

As you know Debian Sid, which I am on most of the time right now, has 1.0.5 in the repo. It will not be long before this migrates to testing.

Reading the release announcements I can see why 1.0.5 would appeal. 1.0.4 sounds like it has the most improvements though.

I would wait and have something that has brainless maintanance. Just restrain yourself and get the 1.0.4 package.

Packages migrate to testing when they are stable on most hardware.

The ones in Sid may be a stable release from upstream but they are developed in VB or VM not on real hardware. Debian gets the code and packages it. Puts it in experimental or sometimes straight to sid. As people use it and report on it the Debian devs tweak the thing so that it excepts hardware.

There is a lot of different hardware out there and it is amazing to install something that works for everyone that posts about it but it won't work for you. Or it works great on your box and seemingly on no others.

It will be a while before 1.0.5 makes it to the LMDE repo. It will probably be worth the wait.

Compiling 1.0.5 would probably be better at this point than grabbing the package from sid if you really, really have to have it.
NicoleCtrl

Post by NicoleCtrl »

Thanks for the insight, zerozero and widget. Looks like Update Pack 5 is out, and I think I am happy with 1.0.4 so I will get it from there. I'm taking small steps to understand GNU/Linux, but compiling my own packages seems fun and worthwhile so I'm sure I'll get around to it as I continue learning.

I have a few related questions for anyone reading...

1. If I compile a program and it has lots of files/dependencies (like GIMP or something big) how do I know I won't be accidentally replacing newer versions of files that are already on my system (which other programs use) with older versions? Is there some smart management of files, like how software centers work? I like the idea of compiling small programs with a few files but it's the complicated programs that make me worry about messing up my system. Plus, how are these manually-compiled programs uninstalled? Are there commands to find all the program's files and dependencies and delete the ones which aren't being used by other programs?

2. So is there a way to use software center or Synaptic with Testing for all programs except one or two you want to get from Sid? Or if I open up Sid for a program does that make it recommend Sid versions of everything to me?

3. Some programs in LMDE are really outdated (like a year or more, I think?) while others like Firefox were up to version 14 which is very recent. What's the logic behind when packages migrate? Just wondering, like it's hard to know if something has fallen through the cracks or if it's on their radar and they're taking care of it.

Thanks haha! >___<

Return to “LMDE Archive”