LinuxMint4.0 KDE on Gateway MT3705 Notebook

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

Re: LinuxMint4.0 KDE on Gateway MT3705 Notebook

Post by akshunj »

Duuuuude. All over Google people have issues with this laptop and linux. Apparently, it's a "budget" laptop using some non-standard hardware. I had a similar issue with my wife's laptop. We both have Acer's, but mine's a core duo and her's a celeron. Mint works out-of-the-box 100% functional on mine, but it's a mess on hers. Screwy CPU throttling, won't shutdown or reboot properly, slooooow boot time, and randomly it will simply fail to boot.

That said, I found a link to someone who seems to have had some breakthroughs with your laptop model:

http://zder.net/2007/10/07/gateway-mt3422-and-linux/

Give it a look. You'd think that linux and cheap hardware would be snug as two bugs, but this apparently is not the case all the time... :cry:

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

thisismalhotra wrote:
1. Do all the lspci entries which say <access denied> means there are no drivers??
2. Does mint have a restricted drivers manager as in ubuntu that will install my chipset driver (which is an amd/ati chipset) and I know how to get sound and aireless working.
3. ! thing I was not able to do is get it to us WPA Personal which is the encryption on my home network... I REALLY NEED TIPS ON THAT

I would really appreciate the answers to these...
1. No. That only means you didn't run lspci with sudo or as root. There are certain ways that data is accessed that normal users don't have privileges for.

2. No. I believe Mint tossed the restricted driver manager after Celena. But don't quote me on that. I could be wrong.

3. I need more info on what's not working for you as far as WPA. Are you using KNetworkManager? What are your error messages? Give me some more info and I'll try to help you diagnose this...

--Akshun J
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the restricted driver manager was left out or removed so it did not conflict with envy or any other restricted driver already installed.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”