VirtualBox + Linux Mint 13: No Seamless Mode :(

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
skibum1981

VirtualBox + Linux Mint 13: No Seamless Mode :(

Post by skibum1981 »

Win 7 host 64-bit, Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit guest.

Before anyone asks, YES, I have installed the guest additions, and that's the first thing I did. I tried this two ways:

-- Installing from the image virtualbox gives you by going to Devices --> Install Guest Additions
-- Installing from repos (terminal --> apt-get install virtulbox-*)

Neither worked. I uninstalled the package managers installations, and instead went back to the first method. Two problems as of now:

-- Cannot enable seemless mode, try as I may. The option to do so is disabled from Virtualbox menu.
-- Cinnamon doesn't load (and if I do ALT + F2: cinnamon --replace, it runs, but not smooth and sometimes garbled images)

Help appreciated. If your answer is "install guest additions," you're not helping.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: VirtualBox + Linux Mint 13: No Seamless Mode :(

Post by cwsnyder »

Does full-screen mode work for LM13? Do you have 2D video acceleration enabled? What is your display mode in Windows and video hardware?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As this is about Windows + VirtualBox, moving it here.

Linux Mint 13 comes pre-installed with the VirtualBox guest additions (packages virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils and virtualbox-guest-x11). You don't need to install those. To enabled Cinnamon to display you need to give your virtual machine at least 512 MiB RAM, though preferably at least 1 GiB. You also need to enable 3D acceleration and give it as much video RAM as possible. And yes, as cwsnyder shares, you do need to have a GPU that can actually run Cinnamon for real in order to run Cinnamon on VirtualBox.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

3D Acceleration was enabled. 2 GB of RAM, 128 MB of VRAM. Not working.
skibum1981

Post by skibum1981 »

I just deleted the .vdi and reinstalled. For some reason it is working now, although it didn't before in the first install (even before I attempted to install Guest Additions -- obviously wouldn't have done this had it worked). No idea why...

Return to “Open Chat”