Beryl in Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Beryl in Linux Mint

Post by starkey »

Finally I uploaded my first video in youtube, you can see how beryl works in Bea, it's a short video, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2cGod2EPM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Cool 8)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

starkey,

I did this with Linux Mint 2.1, but could not "tag" both "linux", and "mint" to show "Linux Mint" @ YouTube, if you know what I mean. I've got about 5 YouTube videos, and one got so large showing my Desktop with sound that I hosted it to archive.org. YouTube stops @ 100Mb.

Anyway, I'm here@ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVmH087F2AY

I run this off a Compaq Presario Notebook, and Linux Mint gave me the additional help here. Cool!

Hey, how did you get that "burn" effect?

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Adler wrote:Hey, how did you get that "burn" effect?
That's in the new Beryl versions ... You will find it amongst the closing effects. Another nice one is "beam": Windows get beamed away Star Trek style when you close them 8)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

scorp123,

Cool, thanks! I'm doing the Bianca install right now, and use Beryl SVN to get the latest builds. Strange that I've not yet run across what you suggested.

Thanks.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

You will find it amongst the closing effects
scorp123,

I've got Bianca now installed, Beryl. Where did you find what you mentioned?

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

open the Beryl settings manager (either right click on the Beryl icon in the taskbar or it should be in system tools in mintMenu) select the Visual Effects tab and select and enable (if it is not already) Animations in the left hand menu you can then select various opening/closing animations there.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starkey »

The new beryl version doesn't have the snow effect, I don't know why
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

open the Beryl settings manager (either right click on the Beryl icon in the taskbar or it should be in system tools in mintMenu) select the Visual Effects tab and select and enable (if it is not already) Animations in the left hand menu you can then select various opening/closing animations there.
Alephcat,

I found the "Snow", and "Water" effects under "Extras".

I'm running Bianca Beta, and the nightly Beryl SVN repositories. SHIFT / F9 gives me the "Water" effects.

What are you using to get "Snow". Hey, it was 83 degrees (28 Celsius) here today.

We need Snow! LOL!

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

at the moment I am using "walking outside" to give me the snow effect (it is snowing here). I was talking about the closing effects such as "burn" and "beam" I am not using the nightly builds at the moment so I do not have snow or other effects ATM.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Alephcat

I can find snow here in Arizona, if I drive into the mountains. But prefer the warmer climes here in the Phoenix valley. LOL! The Grand Canyon, and the White Mountains, east of me, are pretty chilly. Brrr...

I've been all over the Beryl project, but can't seem to add those new cool (snow), "burn" or "beam". I'm thinking that this is a few Desktop key commands, but can't find them.

Meanwhile, I'm now running BIANCA. I've got RecordMyDesktop going, you may have seen my Web Site video, and as usual having fun!

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Adler wrote:I've got Bianca now installed, Beryl. Where did you find what you mentioned?
- Right-click on the Beryl icon (red diamond)
- click on "Beryl Settings Manager"
- inside the "Beryl Settings Manager", click on the small triangle next to "Visual Effects" (left pane)
- more sub-menus should now be visible (left pane)
- click on "Animations"
- right pane gets filled with many options and tabs:
  • (Un)Minimize
    Close
    Create
    Focus
    (Un)Shade
    Magic Lamp
    Focus Wave
    Curved Folds
    Horizontal Folds
    Misc. Settings
    Sidekick
    Fire (A.K.A. Burn)
    Beam
- Select "Close" (should be the 2nd tab, in the right pane)
- You should now see two options with drop-down lists:
  • Close #1 Animation
    Close #2 Animation
- in my case both are set to "Zoom"
- click on that drop-down list and change whatever was set (e.g. "Zoom") to "Burn"
- close the "Beryl Settings Manager"

And voilà, from here onwards your program windows will litterally burn to death when you close them :twisted:

Feel free to experiment.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:open the Beryl settings manager (either right click on the Beryl icon in the taskbar or it should be in system tools in mintMenu) select the Visual Effects tab and select and enable (if it is not already) Animations in the left hand menu you can then select various opening/closing animations there.
I can't find a beryl icon and it's NOT on in the systems tool.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

scorp123,

I got it! I didn't try this --

- click on "Animations".

Thanks.

antiquexray,

This might seem like a silly question, but have you installed Beryl? I used this guide -- http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/3d- ... -edgy.html.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Adler wrote:scorp123,

I got it! I didn't try this --

- click on "Animations".

Thanks.

antiquexray,

This might seem like a silly question, but have you installed Beryl? I used this guide -- http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/3d- ... -edgy.html.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Believe me, it isn't a silly question, and I don't take offense. I thought beryl was already installed. I've said I was a newbie!

BTW, you link for me is broken.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

antiquexray,

I had the feeling that you thought Beryl was part of Linux Mint. In a Forum, such as this, you often have to ask silly questions. LOL!

Try this link --

http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/3d- ... -edgy.html

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

the link Adler posted seems to be broken, try this one instead http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu and use any of the 6.10 (edgy eft) ones that apply to you. This will get it mostly working on Bianca, there is a little more configuration to do but I am at work ATM and can not remember exactly what to do. I will post a how-to at some point this weekend.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:Believe me, it isn't a silly question, and I don't take offense. I thought beryl was already installed. I've said I was a newbie!

Try mine, here in the forum:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195

Scroll down to issue #7 ... I really followed the step by step instructions there and I got it working on my first attempt. So I guess it's not that hard.

Regards,

Scorp123
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:Believe me, it isn't a silly question, and I don't take offense. I thought beryl was already installed. I've said I was a newbie!

Try mine, here in the forum:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195

Scroll down to issue #7 ... I really followed the step by step instructions there and I got it working on my first attempt. So I guess it's not that hard.

Regards,

Scorp123
Well, doing some homework here, I don't think the computer I'm currently running Bianca on will support it. I don't see an ATI graphics card at all. Oh well, it is my garbage computer I use to test new distros. Thanks anyway.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

antiquexray,

I assume that you have an NVIDIA driver, which, if you are running the current drivers available, you should be able to do the Beryl install.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona

PS The last link that I posted does work. It makes interesting reading.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”