New network, Windows fine, Linux not :(

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New network, Windows fine, Linux not :(

Postby chemicalfan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 am

I'm staying at my girlfriend's parents for a couple of weeks, so have brought my laptop along. They have a wireless-N WPA+WPA2 secured network, which I cannot authenticate against on my LMDE install (the GUI just says "Authentication failed", helpfully). Now, on my dual-boot Windows install, I can connect fine using the same password, so it's not a MAC filter issue or anything like that. I also have no problems connecting at home on either OS (that is a wireless-G network rather than wireless-N, I think it's still WPA2 though). So, it's not a problem with wireless in general (my hardware is working fine). So it must be a config issue, and this is where my knowledge runs out.

Can someone point me in the direction of some terminal tools/commands that will give a more verbose output than "Authentication failed"? Or does the GUI write some information out to a log file somewhere?
chemicalfan
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New network, Windows fine, Linux not :(

Postby stratus_ss on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 am

Have you examined dmesg directly after the failure?
What about /var/log/syslog or /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/kern.log? Those would be places I would check right off.

Alternatively you can actually open up 4 different terminals (I use a program called terminator for this but gnome-terminal/konsole is fine) and do something like

Code: Select all
tail -f <log file>

Where <log file> is one of the logs I mentioned above. This will actively output anything relevent to the terminal WHILE you are connecting. So to be clear, tail the logs FIRST then try and connect. I suspect one of those log files may help out
stratus_ss
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Wireless