What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ..

Postby sunewbie on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 am

I will try to answer one by one

Lumikki wrote:I still have some confusions and a lot of questions. As six week old Linux newbie.

I think, I understand, KDE, Gnome, Xfce as they are like bigger products where is window manager + desktop enviroment?

Are software someway related more to Window manager or desktop types?

I don’t know, weather you read robin’s post on page one. Most questions are already covered in his post. It is the best explanation I have seen in layman’s language.

KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE are windows manager (wm) + Desktop environment.

KDE uses QT – a toolkit (libraries) used to make the GUI, whereas, Gnome2, XFCE, LXDE are using GTK2+. Gnome3 is now using Gtk3+ to build GUI.

Each DE is made with some purpose in mind. e.g. LXDE and XFCE focuses on older hardware, whereas KDE is for modern machines, is full blown desktop which offers a lot of tweaks and windows like interface. Gnome is also targeted at modern desktops, but has unique look nad is less bloated then KDE.

Are software someway related more to Window manager or desktop types?

I'm wondering, because if I install KDE software into Gnome it seem to load more stuff.
Doesn't the X-windows provide necessary libraries for the Graphical interface for softwares?

Software are related to Desktop Environment. They suit, load faster, and integrate well on DE which share same libraries. E.g. XFburn is a DVD burner using Gtk2+ toolkit and so it can integrate with the theme of OS using XFCE as DE, which uses GTK2+. On the other hand if you use K3B, DVD burner using QT in XFCE DE, then it will depend upon QT libraries, which are not installed by default. So when you install K3b on any DE which is not using Qt, it will download those Qt libraries, during download cum instalation on which K3b is dependent. These Qt dependencies are downloaded and installed along with K3b.

So if you run K3b in XFCE or Gnome than it also loads QT libraries. XFCE, Gnome also has it’s own default set of libraries installed and loaded on startup (when you login). So technically, QT based app like K3b will use more RAM. There is also the problem of integration with the system, specially it’s theme.

How is LXDE related or connected to Linux Mint?

LXDE is independent DE, build for older hardware. 10 year old PC which has only 256 MB RAM cannot run KDE or Gnome3 / Gnome2, but can run LXDE, which only needs 128 MB to run, when no apps like word processor or music player are running. XFCE needs 256 MB minimum RAM to Operate, but if you load resource intensive apps like inkscape, then it will needs 512 MB to run smoothly.

The reason for using low RAM is due to it’s design and limited features. LXDE keeps to PC / Laptop temp cooler than Gnome or KDE.

LXDE is not connected or associated or developed by Linux Mint.

Just like Linux Mint uses Gnome3 or XFCE to have a GUI, it’s LXDE spin or flavour uses LXDE as a default DE.

Now, Gnome 3 has desktop environments, like Unity and Cinnamon.
How ever, MGSE isn't same as Gnome 3 desktop environment?
Does Gnome 3 has it's own desktop what can be installed or is it always under the other Desktops in Gnome 3?
Example if I would somehow remove MGSE from Mint 12, what would happen?

Gnome3 uses GTK3+ tool kit. It can be split into 2 parts

1) Gnome shell – You are working with Gnome shell when no windows or apps are running. Like changing system settings, etc.
2) Gnome (Gtk3+) – These are collection of libraries which make gnome-shell function. They come into play when you open an app. E.g. if you open Libreoffice writer, then these libraries, which are already loaded, come into play.

MGSE means Mint Gnome Shell extensions. These are 3 addons created by ‘Clem’ LM founder to add more flexibility to Gnome3 (considered as rigid and lacking for customization by many avid Linux users).

Even if you uninstall MGSE, Gnome3 is fully functional, because it has it’s default gnome-shell and it’s own apps like File manager, etc. You get pure Gnome experience like you get in Fedora 16

Since Gnome3 was criticized and is not customizable, Clem initially tried to make it flexible by introducing MGSE and later forked gnome-shell to create own shell Cinnamon, which works with Gnome3. It is similar to UNITY desktop, which runs on top of Gnome3, but offers more freedom, traditional look and customization options.

Cinnamon is not an independent desktop environment, (in technical terms it is a shell), as a replacement of Gnome-shell. Cinnamon still requires Gnome3.

Pure Gnome3 is Gnome3 (which contain GTK3+) and Gnome-shell. Just so image search for Gnome3 or Fedora 16 and check out for Cinnamon. You will see the difference in interface. You can even check the difference by login in Gnome 3 and Cinnamon in LM 12

MATE is a another fork of gnome2 and unlike cinnamon, it is a full DE. Is is a clone of very popular and stable (now on death bed) gnome2.
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby codemilan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm

"Edited Info... info... info...info... end Edit"-I really didn't understood this statement
codemilan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bruce R on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 am

For LinuxMint Main Editions the default Username and Password are mint and simply Enter respectively.
Does anyone know what they are for LMDE ?
(I am using Windows-hosted Linux Live USB Creator to create a persistent USBkey installation, but can't get into the Package or Software Managers to make lasting changes.)
Edit PS - Please ignore my question, it's apparently still mint, Enter.
My problem was solved by instead creating the persistent USBkey with version 2.8.10 of Linux Live USB creator. :D
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BruceCM on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Glad that's sorted! It's probably not relevant but all the tweaks are why I prefer KDE to Lisa, personally. I think the 'edited info...' bit was just saying that trying to explain the differences between different versions of different distributions gets surprisingly complex, very quickly (see Robin's post, which could be said to amount to 'it might be a simple question but the answer isn't'! With enough on how so to look into, though. Just a good way to blow a poor Newbie's mind! (Since I'm still one but I like having my mind blown, so that's great). :lol:
BruceCM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby outfieldgrass on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm

I've been using Linux for a bit and have tried a few distros along with different windows managers and desktop environments. Learned quite a bit from this thread though.
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
~ Roberto Clemente
outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tosim on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

craig10x wrote:As a newbie...i'd recommend you try Mint 10 main edition (gnome) first...It's the most commonly used Mint system...You may like KDE because it will remind you a bit of windows and a bit more "eye candyish" (lol)...but Gnome is actually a bit simpler to use...and Clem does up Mint gnome very nicely, it is pretty attractive in it's own right...

For the more experienced, LMDE is becoming very popular and it's what i use now...but i was on Mint main for quite a long time...
LMDE is directly based on debian rather the ubuntu as the other mint editions are (although the smaller ones like XFCE are going debian now)...
LMDE is a "rolling distro" which never has to be re-installed...but it gets constant updates...and is still a bit more "rough around the edges" then the main edition...and better for those who have been on linux and using mint for awhile...

That is why i recommend you start with mint main edition...either 32 or 64 bit depending on your computer's processor... :)

Although I've "toyed" very slightly with Linux over several years, and different versions, I've just recently settled with Mint13-MATE. However, yesterday I d/l and burned a copy of LMDE, and ran it "Live" for awhile. I can't really see hardly any difference. I'm thinking, and inquiring, that as pretty much of a newbie, and not wanting to change versions every 6 months(I know it's not necessary), of uninstalling Linux Mint13-MATE, and installing the LMDE version. If so, can I then use the backup disk i made of the extra apps I've installed, to re-install them in LMDE? Also, how do I uninstall my original Mint13-MATE? Thanks for any assistance.
tosim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby turboscrew on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 am

Now after all this, which would you recommend: Cinnamon or MATE:
(A friend's machine, not mine: I don't have more detailed specs at hand)
- about 2 years old desktop, powerful, but not state of the art
- basic stuff: net surfing, e-mail, music videos from net, messenger
- some music related SW (Hydrogen, tab-sw, note writing/playing)
- music editing SW
- Music CD burning
- home theater stuff
- maybe Seaclear or something like that (to be used in a laptop too)

I was thinking about HW requirements, finding working SW and perfo needed for smooth operation.
Also, the future of the DEs is a factor. Which one, you think, will last?
Any idea if either of the DEs is becoming some kind of "de-facto default" in Mint?

The laptop is (or will be) another issue altogether.

[edit]
Oops sorry, this belongs obviously to the "About Mint Editions"-section.
Last edited by turboscrew on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turboscrew
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Centauri-A4 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:42 am

Robin that is a great post - thank you.

I'm a newbie this year; started with Lisa. As you mentioned about revitalizing an older system, since I just wanted to try-out Linux on something other than a virtual machine in Windows, I signed-out an old laptop from our surplus equipment at work; laptops too old and under-powered for Windows7 (barely ran XP). I couldn't believe the performance with Linux.

And just as I was convinced I wouldn't like anything more than Lisa, I tried Maya. I really like this one even better than Lisa. I also tried the Cinnamon version, but prefer the non-Cinnamon and went back to that one. That Control Center available in the menu is a nice touch.

Ed
Centauri-A4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sagirfahmid3 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:10 am

Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 537 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 am

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.

Are you serious?
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vrkalak on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:57 pm

537 wrote:
sagirfahmid3 wrote:Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.

Are you serious?

Yes, Robin's passing was a suprise and a great loss to the Linux / Open Source Community.

In his closing BLOG Robin's father wrote: "He never gave up the faith. Not his faith in God or his faith in Linux."

Robin was wise beyond his years and an advocate for Linux . . . he was 19 years old.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby toledomint on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Superb, wow wish other experienced users would try and understand that us newbies who really don't have too much understanding of Linux and the entire system but thanks to people giving answers like this help us Newbies so so much. Thank you
toledomint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby badgerlinux on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 am

what a great post - and such a sad loss.
For those trying to chose a distro for an older laptop - I'm running MATE 13 on a 6-year old Lenovo (Intel dual core 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM) and it works really well. My advice would be don't automatically go for a lighter desktop (unless you like the look/feel) - try a few of the heavier ones also - the compromise in speed might be worth it.. (MATE runs far quicker on my system than Windows ever did) .. the beauty of Linux!
badgerlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby amda2008 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

Wow!!! this thread helped me a lot in understanding linux. :D
amda2008
Level 1
Level 1

Postby simplex on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 am

Hey Robin,

excellent answer! Can you tell me the difference between MATE and Cinnamon? Are these WMs or DEs? Which one has the lower memory/time consumption? I'd like to keep the good old desktop parardigm.

S.

PS: After 15 years of using KDE, I have stopped. It is too buggy and too time consuming
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Postby zerozero on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm

simplex, please read 4 posts above yours.

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby simplex on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Ahhh, that's sad story. i only looked for the keywords "MATE" and "Cinnamon" in this thread.

S.
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Whiskyjoe on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

Wow Robin.

Very informative, i am new to and i understood that. Great post thanks very much helped me to understand a little more as well.
Whiskyjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ssreddy555 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:48 pm

dwasifar wrote:
gms9810 wrote:

Recently I added the XFCE desktop environment to a machine already using Gnome. The process was simple: I just opened a terminal window and typed sudo apt-get install xfce4. This downloaded and installed the complete XFCE desktop, including all its associated applications; and from then on, both XFCE and Gnome were available choices each time I logged in. Even better, all the applications from both environments were available no matter which one was currently running.

After seeing this post, I too added XFCE desktop environment to Mint 12 KDE but I don't like it. In the process of doing so, i chose XFCE as the default. I want to revert to KDE as the default. How can I do so?

Now, I am not able to get the desktop effects in KDE & when I click to reconfigure desktop effects, a notification is displayed that this system will not have them because open GL is disabled. Enabling open GL will crash the system immediately. This change has occurred after I installed XFCE desktop. I would rather uninstall XFCE. Can anybody enlighten me as to the procedure?

Thank u.
ssreddy555
Level 1
Level 1

Postby felixlizarraga on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:51 pm

As for setting KDE again as your default WM, log out. Then, from the list of window managers that you will see on the GRUB screen, choose KDE as the default, log in, and you're done.

Unfortunately, your video card does not fully support OpenGL. It happens a lot with integrated video. Unless it's some kind of glitch that's happening after installing KFCE.

To fully uninstall KFCE, the simplest way to go is opening Software Manager --while logged in KDE or any WM other than KFCE-- looking for KFCE, which should appear checked as Installed, and uninstall it. A more thorough way would involve using the Terminal and typing: "sudo apt-get --purge autoremove kfce" (without quotation marks). After presing Enter, and typing your password, you should be KFCE-free. I'm a little fuzzy on this last method, so try Software Manager first...
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions