Linux Mint newbie

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint newbie

Post by I do Mint »

Hi all

I'm Erwin and I live in the Netherlands and installed yesterday Mint 9 (Isadora) Gnome.
Reason I choose this install is I had lots of problems to get my NVIDIA Geforce FX5500 to work in Pinguy OS.
After reading I found a post that Mint 9 is working perfectly so that's what I did.
Install went smoothly, complete update of the system too and the NVIDIA Driver works like a charm.
So I am very happy to have this up and running.
Currently running a dualboot with XP (with Palemoon & Thunderbird) but slowly I want to move completely to Mint.
Years ago I was playing around with BeOS, Red Hat and JAMD Linux but in that time it was not really an option to drop my Winbox.
Now I see Mint I am very happy to see the huge step forward with very nice desktop alternatives.
So for now it is Mint 9 until I know for sure I can upgrade without NVIDIA problems to version 13 and if the performance will stay like it is now on my AMD 3200+ system.
Here is one very happy newbie :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oh yes, I do Mint :)
The-Wizard

Re: Linux Mint newbie

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

Thanks wizard, just reading in here on the forum :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Hi Erwin!

Welcome to the Mint Forums, and to Linux Mint! Hopefully things will go more smoothly for you with Linux Mint.

Caerolle :)
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Hello Erwin!
Welcome to the Mint Community.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Erwin, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and for when you upgrade to Linux Mint 13 the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (the awesome desktop environment being developed by Linux Mint). Version 1.6 was just released today: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.
blueglass

Post by blueglass »

Hi Erwin, welcome to the forum!! Hope you'll find the information and discussions here useful!
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

I recommend you stick with LM 9 for now
get another hard drive (internal) ... split it up about like so: 10%, 10%, 10gb, ~80% (primary partitions)
you will then have 2 partitions for testing linux distributions like LM 13
you can always go back to LM 9 for your email, etc...
the 80% or so is for storage, so likely ntfs (what I use, still have a wXP install on another partition, am using LM 13 MATE right now)

thanks for the positivity (oh, the 10gb is for swap, if necessary, if not, then you could do another 10% partition)
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Got Linux Mint on a seperate HD so no problem there. Slowly figuring out the ins and outs from Mint and currently fine tuning the OS for my needs.
Got some issues going on to solve but trying to find out with posts on this forum, if I really can't find a solution I will know my way where to ask.
For now Isadora is doing fine and no need to upgrade. Just trying to avoid the NVIDIA issues again with my card.

Greetz,

Erwin
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

sometimes it is best to install the older version of the video driver first; this worked for me on my old comp, which was nvidia
on my current system, the regular driver works, but the one with the updates does not (beta?)
fledep

Post by fledep »

am a linux mint newbie unable to get my modem working on mint.help! :?
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

what kind of modem?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@fledep you are responding to a post where user I do Mint introduces himself, not the place to ask for support. Please create a topic in the support section of the forums, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=90.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”