Help with MP3 Player, Please.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Help with MP3 Player, Please.

Post by jokersloose »

Hi All,

I liked Mint so much I loaded it on my desktop. And showed a friend of mine. Well they liked it so much told me if I can make there "junk" work with it they will dump XP. So, I need help getting a 8 gig Sansa SanDisk to work. I did a search but the only thing I could find was to change the download from USB to something else dont remember, sorry. But there isn't any place on the player to let me change the settings on how it's downloaded. I tried a couple of Ipod programs just too see if the interface would be the same with no luck. If someone could please point to a new resource.

Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Help with MP3 Player, Please.

Post by McLovin »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, are you trying to install Mint onto the MP3 player, or use it to store the files to transfer to the other system?
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Sorry,
I want to transfer music files from the desktop to the MP3 player.

Thanks,
James
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

I have a 2 gig sansa and use rhythmbox. There may be differences because the 2 gig has no video capability.

Enable MTP player in the plugins and you should be able to see it. You can also use Amarok once you have initialised the player but it is slightly more complicated.

REGARDS
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I have a Sansa e280. Start up the sansa go to Settings -> USB Mode (second last option), choose MSC. PLug your mp3 player in through USB, should detect automatically. From there you can just drag and drop music per usual.
Cheers.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Whatever happened to drag and drop MP3 players? Why do all of them require software? Man, I wish they would start making platform independent players...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
proxima_centauri

I guess when you market a product you cater to the majority, in this case windows/apple (linux seems to be gaining some significant improvements in shares too now i guess). However, even if the majority of mp3 players come with this platform dependent software, 99% of them still support drag and drop, whether automatically or though changing certain settings. I don't think any third-party company would intentionally lock users out of software. (Then again I havn't really used many different brands of MP3 players so I could be very wrong about that).
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Thanks for the replys.
Start up the sansa go to Settings -> USB Mode (second last option), choose MSC.
This one does not have that option on the sansa it self. So far that's all I have been able to find as well. Change it from USB to MSC (couldn't remember what the option was when I did the first post.)
rhythmbox,Enable MTP player in the plugins
K, installed and enable the MTP plug-in. But it still doesn't "see" the MP3 player.

When I do plug it in. The player turns on, then I get the screen that says "connected". However it will "jump" from that screen to the Home screen and then back to the connected screen. I have tried Amarok, but I guess I'm still new enough I couldn't get it too read there either. Once I picked MTP Player and tell it too connect then it asks for "Pre-connect Command" and "Post-connect Command". I am guessing it wants to know the mount point for the player when I tell Amarok to connect, but there again just a guess on my part. I'm fairly new to linux, but have just enough "know-how" to make me stupid. LOL.

Again Thanks for the replys,
James
proxima_centauri

hmmm, do you know the model by any chance? is it the one the plays video's or just mp3's? Cause I *thought* the only 8 gig mp3's Sandisk made were the E2** series and the E3** series. Both of which have the setting to change to MSC mode.
EDIT:
I THINK I FOUND IT... hopefully what your friend has is the Sansa View 8Gb, which I was wrong about and does NOT have a menu option like the older Sansas. Here is the fix (crosses fingers)
http://www.sansacommunity.com/blog/entr ... -MSC-mode/
Cheers.
proxima_centauri

In addition this might be a workaround to actually use MTP in Mint.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=652004
Cheers.
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Not sure of the model number. The paper work is at my friends house and I have the player here to see if I can get it too work. All it says on it is "sansa" on the front, on the back it says "SanDisk" on the top and "BI0712AKHF-8G" on the bottom. Yes it plays video. On the "Home" screen it has menu options for "music" "videos" "photos" and "more" so I pick "more". Then it has Radio, Voice Recorder, Settings/Options. So under Settings/Optoins it has Music, Audiobook, Video, Photo, FM Radio, System Settings. So I go under System Settings and it has, Wallpaper, Display Art In Lists, Backlight, Power Saver, Language, Date & Time, Brightness, Volume, Display, Reset Factory Settings, Info, Format. Nothing about being able to change the download from USB to MSC. Unless I'm missing something of course. Which is very possible.

Thanks again,
James
proxima_centauri

Did you try my other suggestion from the sansa community website?
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Looking now. :) Thanks for the links. I'll do some reading and see what I can make happen. I'll let ya know.

Thanks,
James
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

WOW!!! Your good. That did it. I followed the instructions on that web site. Plugged it into the USB port and bang a new window pops up with the menu of the MP3 player. :).

Thanks again. Now I'm off to load Mint on her desktop. Very cool.

Thank you so very much,
James

Return to “Beginner Questions”