Linux Mint 9 xfce problem reading é

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lordofthemorning

Linux Mint 9 xfce problem reading é

Post by lordofthemorning »

I have a strange problem, my distro can't seem to read any files on my winxp pc containing an é in the name....

Other special letters it just changes to the plain letter (also not what it is supposed to do, but at least i can copy those). ë should remain ë, not make it into e. ö must remain ö, not make it o :?

What could be the problem, and how to fix this? 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunewbie

Re: Linux Mint 9 xfce problem reading é

Post by sunewbie »

lordofthemorning wrote:I have a strange problem, my distro can't seem to read any files on my winxp pc containing an é in the name....

Other special letters it just changes to the plain letter (also not what it is supposed to do, but at least i can copy those). ë should remain ë, not make it into e. ö must remain ö, not make it o :?

What could be the problem, and how to fix this? 8)
Hi,

I exactly do not know the solution, but did you install the required language Pack. Can you type the same in LibreOffice Writer or Abiword
axel668

Post by axel668 »

don't use special chars in filenames ?
lordofthemorning

lol, nice solution Axel. Sure i will faulty rename 5.000 files. Thanks for the suggestion :lol:

I figured out it's mostly the capital ó and a variant at the ' (old keyboard character) that were making the problems. i manually changed those to ' and plain O. That worked. But still stupid that files cannot have there original correct name. Never had any problem like this before, not on linux mint 13, not on OpenSuse 7, 9, 10, neither on kubuntu 11.

I installed some additional language packages. Doesn't seem to help. é (alt 130) is still displayed at "?" but can be copied now. So...I can work around it, but still don't know have to fix this or what caused it.

@ su. I have openoffice here and alt codes don't seem to work. inset special character does work however. Is it the alt codes? :?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

lordofthemorning wrote:
I installed some additional language packages. Doesn't seem to help. é (alt 130) is still displayed at "?" but can be copied now. So...I can work around it, but still don't know have to fix this or what caused it.

@ su. I have openoffice here and alt codes don't seem to work. inset special character does work however. Is it the alt codes? :?
It should be the unicode problem. Even Typing in Indian (Indic) language is not working. After language pack, you should also install ibus and fonts.

For typing Indian languages, I used ibus. In Ubuntu 10.04, it worked perfestly, but it does not seem to work in 12.04. I am an LTS man so did not try other version, nor have tried any other distros other than Ubuntu derived except Saline OS.

You are familier with Linux, and have even better grip than me, but still I think you should have a look at a similar discussion in Bodhi Linux Forums. Please check my reply (as White Lotus)

I tried in Xubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13. It's not working. After installing ibus, when you activate it, an icon appears in task bar / panel. On clicking the icon and selecting the language you want to type, that language scheme should be turned on immediately. Sadly, it does not start properly, nor it stop properly. This seems to be a problem.

Try to search if bug is submitted in Launchpad. I will also to the same.

Till then I am typing India language in Win XP.
lordofthemorning

Problem seems to lie with pdneighbourhood. if i rename the file on my windows hdd, copy it to linux and then rename the O to Ó there is no problem. I can rename the ? to é too.

so it goes wrong with the reading of the networkfiles or something...maybe i should try another program for copying files through samba.

suggestions?

Return to “Xfce”