nvidia or radeon?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jaedo71

nvidia or radeon?

Post by jaedo71 »

Which type of cards work better with LM13? Nvidia or Radeon? I was looking at upgrading to a 500 series or 600 series geforce...
Thanks!
Also, I want to purchase an ASUS brand card because I have an ASUS motherboard. I have a Compaq SW5413WM desktop from 2008.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: nvidia or radeon?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

One word: Nvidia
You will have nothing but trouble with AMD cards, they have garbage drivers for Linux. Nvidia drivers are much much better and way easier to install.
Onsen

Post by Onsen »

You'll probably have issues either way. I know I did.
What I found out after trouble shooting for both is that nvidia has a long history of working better than the competition on Linux, but that AMD/ATI caught up very recently (2012) and, yes, proprietary drivers for my radeon hd 6000er series work just fine.

Still,... I can't get HD videos (1080p) to work. Neither with nvidia nor with radeon.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Bs, I have a GT430 ($50 card) and I can play 1080p perfectly on YouTube. Maybe your CPU sucks, get a dual-core or higher.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:One word: Nvidia
You will have nothing but trouble with AMD cards, they have garbage drivers for Linux. Nvidia drivers are much much better and way easier to install.

:?: :?: :?:
Some of us say the same about Nvidia :!: ...Of six (6) computers running Linux Mint 9--13 the only on i'm having trouble with has a N... card
@Onsan is Right Some Cards from ATI or Nvidia is problematic with Linux

P.S. Don't they Install the Same Way?
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

I have an ATI card, sort of... using the A8 apu sytem

I just accessed the ATI config screen, but I had to run it via root terminal, in usr/bin; no biggie
It has plenty of options, though not as much as the windows version

works great

(i generally steer away from intel and nvidia as they are traditionally the market dominators ... im a big fan of Underdog)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'll throw this out for something to think about. My last computer was a pentium d 1gb ram and a geforce gt 220. I failed to install the nvidia drivers, 5 times, then the card died. Rather than get another graphics card I went for a new ivy bridge system and use the on cpu Intel HD4000 graphics. So far it is flawlees with Mint. Everything works exactly as I would expect. With the old system I could play 1080p video from dvd or utube fairly well. Some videos were skippy. CPU use was 50% and up. Now on the new system everything is perfect. I can play a 1080p 60 fps video and the cpu sits at idle speed of 1.6 ghz and about 20-25 % use. The only time the cpu hits 3.4ghz is the occasional one second blip when it must be performing system functions. My power supply, an Antec 430, doesn't even get warm even on a 90 degree day. The next time I order parts I'm getting a watt meter to know for sure what the power use is. But, I'll bet the ivy bridge system is using around $50. less per year. Something to think about if you're electric bill conscious and not a serious gamer with an absolute need for a powerful graphics card.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Nvidia has had the better support for Linux for the longer time
  • Nvidia also has archives of their legacy drivers available, even some pretty old ones like the 5500 GX series, using nvidia 173.xxx driver, that is at least 10 yrs old..
You should simply check for issues with those particular chips-sets or card names to determine how well it is supported and what problems if any have occurred..

Phoronix testing reviews site, often using the latest cards + Linux..
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=c ... hics+Cards

Return to “Open Chat”