MintUpdate - Meaning of Level unclear

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
RJim

MintUpdate - Meaning of Level unclear

Post by RJim »

Okay so I have been switching over some of my family and friends to Linux (they were impressed when the saw it running on my system 8) )

One of my friends brought up a good point. They misunderstood the meaning of the "Level" number for updates, assuming that the higher the number was, the more important or critical the update was. So they were pretty much ignoring the level 1 updates and installing all of the 3 or higher updates thinking that they were more important. I'm rather surprised that their system still works.

Now I know that this is explained in the preferences, but still I would suggest renaming it something other than "Level" to perhaps something like "Class". The community can probably think up something even better.

Of course you could just ignore all this, but I'm just telling you what some of my friends thought.
--Jim
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: MintUpdate - Meaning of Level unclear

Post by xenopeek »

The description of the levels is in Edit > Preferences. I don't think replacing level with class would be much clearer to such kind of users, no numbering system would I guess.
RJim

Post by RJim »

xenopeek wrote:The description of the levels is in Edit > Preferences. I don't think replacing level with class would be much clearer to such kind of users, no numbering system would I guess.
Maybe it could be called "Chance of system implosion". :lol:

I understand that the definitions are listed under preferences, but honestly a new user is unlikely to even check the preferences, that's why I suggested that the labeling be more clear. My friends never looked under preferences, and I didn't even think to tell them about it until now.

Just mentioning it because if it happened to my friends then I'm sure there are other new users thinking the same way and making the same mistake.

--Jim
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's also clearly detailed in the user guide (here), which is listed also on the Welcome Screen after login. Page 45 details this. And I know you are going to reply they didn't bother to read that either :)
RJim

Post by RJim »

xenopeek wrote:It's also clearly detailed in the user guide (here), which is listed also on the Welcome Screen after login. Page 45 details this. And I know you are going to reply they didn't bother to read that either :)
Actually I didn't even see a welcome screen on my own install! So they might not have either. Is there supposed to be a welcome screen somewhere? :shock:

--Jim
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps there is a difference depending on which edition you use, but yes there is supposed to be a welcome screen. You can find it in the menu, called "Welcome Screen".

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”