[Solved/sort of] Window decorations changes at login

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
notty

[Solved/sort of] Window decorations changes at login

Post by notty »

I'm using the Cinnamon build of Mint 13. The Xfce version didn't recognize my Logitech unifying keyboard and mouse, so that was DOA. Anyway..
I removed Cinnamon and installed Xfce4 from the xubuntu ppa. Every time I restart my box, Xfce defaults to this weird theme. When I go into settings, it says it's set to Mint X but that's clearly not the case. The weird part is I can't even find the theme/window decorations that its starting with. I tried deleting ~/.cache , even tried downgrading to 4.8 and nothing helps.

Any ideas ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Theme changes at login

Post by jjaythomas »

What theme talking about?

The theme under setting>apperance (scroller look, icons ect)
or the
Theme of the window (manager) decorator settings>window manager (the window bar shown above)

J.Jay
notty

Re: Window decorations changes at login

Post by notty »

Sorry it's window decorations. I sort of solved it but saving the session. I'm going to mark as solved, but I still would like to know why it was happening in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
jjaythomas

Re: [Solved/sort of] Window decorations changes at login

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure wyhy...

I think Cinnamon (only played with alittle) uses gnome3 and some code/parts from compiz. I'm thinking it used or set some config settings of the acual sys (not just of DE) that Xfce doesn't use or overwrite for their configs(??)

Might be way of base
J.Jay

P.S. not sure the above screenshot of the window decorator looks like the compiz default (when can't find/use correct/matcing window theme. :?
wyrdoak

Re: [Solved/sort of] Window decorations changes at login

Post by wyrdoak »

Try in your configuration editor goto apps/metacity/general/ scroll down to theme and change it to the theme you want to use. Sometimes Compiz doesn't read the setting otherwise.
mephisto

Re: Window decorations changes at login

Post by mephisto »

notty wrote:Sorry it's window decorations. I sort of solved it but saving the session. I'm going to mark as solved, but I still would like to know why it was happening in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Sessions might have been the problem. I had a similar issue after upgrading the kernel. No windows manager at all anymore, nothing... googling I finally ended up on XFCE's FAQ page, there I noticed you can manually start the windows manager, which I did, problem solved, but they also said you should save the session to make sure it starts up automatically next time you login.
So I did and the problem has been solved ever since.
Somehow the kernel upgrade must have messed with something there in sessions I guess.
I assume that your saved session still pointed to your previous - last used - Desktop Engine somehow.

I''ll leave it to somebody more knowledgeable to explain how sessions works exactly...

Return to “Xfce”