Mint13 Mate 64bit: Video too fast or jerky - SOLVED!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Mint13 Mate 64bit: Video too fast or jerky - SOLVED!

Post by rustleg »

Any Youtube video I play in Firefox runs at approx 5 times normal speed.

Also try running the video here at the BBC, this is jerky, showing quick staccato movement interspersed by short freezes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

And no sound from either.

AHA!! Sound was the problem. I played Banshee and found no sound there either. So I fiddled with sound in control centre and when I chose a different output device the sound appeared. This then made all the videos play properly.

I was going to delete this post but then I decided to leave it here so others with the same issue can check this out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave W.

Re: Mint13 Mate 64bit: Video too fast or jerky - SOLVED!

Post by Dave W. »

Hey, thank you for posting this. I just installed LM13 with cinnamon and had a similar problem. Switched from RS880 HDMI [Radeon HD 4200 Series] to built in Audio Analog Stereo OUTPUT and all is well. interesting!!??

Dave :)
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rustleg »

Almost the same hardware as mine, which was set to "RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)" and I switched to Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo.
legitmint

Post by legitmint »

Thank you!!!!!

i've been surfing the net for 5 hours looking for a solution for this
liquis

Post by liquis »

Thanks for leaving this thread here.

Thankfully, I didn't have to do too much research and found this resolution.

I believe the trend here is that if you have a vIdeo card with HDMI out, Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon) will by default choose the HDMI Audio out as the default audio device.
Not sure if this is intended or not.
wannabegeek

Post by wannabegeek »

I had no sound but video...I switched to internel analog audio and sound worked then video started the ultra fast play issue.

Any Lenovo users out there can chime in on what their current settings are ?

TIA,
dpc
vitorcoxta

Post by vitorcoxta »

I have Cinammon, 32 bit, and have this problem too. The only option that I have in sound settings, output, is Built-In Audio Analog Stereo, and online videos are still too fast or jerky. Not just that: music on google play is jerky too, and games in flash are too. Can't solve this problem... Any idea?

Thanks!
Linuxpr

Post by Linuxpr »

Muchas gracias amigos.

Thank you very much friends.
dxmrinal

Post by dxmrinal »

NOTE
(This is what worked for me, i hope this works for you too)

Today i have install fresh version of linux mint. And everything went well but when I watch the you tube video or any other video site it went too fast also with no sound.
After a bit messing around I found the solution of this problem
Go to your system - Preference - Sound
Now select the analog stereo for the audio output.

See this video for demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBshbZxfdU
nostrata

Post by nostrata »

I am having this issue as well, when playing video/sound from my laptop on the TV through hdmi it plays really fast. Switching sound to analog makes it play normally but the laptop speakers are weak and not really viable if I am trying to watch a movie on the big TV. Is there an actual fix for this like a codec or driver issue that can be implemented? Or am I stuck with this workaround?
ecomguy

Post by ecomguy »

Thanks, rustleg. Changing the sound settings solved the problem for me too. Several reasons for my post today:
1) I don't see a recent comment on this, and want to flag that this still can be an issue and that this solution still works.
2) I'm using a 32 bit Cinnamon 13 set up and the problem and solution are still the same.
3) For newbies like me here's how to get to the settings in Cinnamon: Menu > System Tools > System Settings > Sound > Output tab.
Kukaseon

Post by Kukaseon »

I'm running Mint 18.1 and the same thing happened to me. YouTube and Netflix played far too fast. I Googled for a solution and this page is the first one that came up. I looked at my sound settings and the wrong device was chosen, I chose the correct sound output device and then everything worked correctly. Thanks a lot! :D

Return to “Sound”