[SOLVED]Nvidia 173 legacy

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
amandus

[SOLVED]Nvidia 173 legacy

Post by amandus »

Hi I have a new installed Linux Mint Debian and want to install The nvidia legacy driver 173xx I have a Nvidia FX5200
I have followed the tutorial on this side and tried to load the module, but the module are not loading I have tried different things to get it to work but no.

Everything is updated to the latest packages, but no different. Must I install another Linux dist or are there any solution????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Nvidia 173 legacy

Post by zerozero »

did you tried this

Code: Select all

apt install nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
and before reboot

sudo nvidia-xconfig
this should do it
amandus

Post by amandus »

No I have tried that several times.

When I #modprobe nvidia I got FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/3.2.0-3-486/nvidia/nvidia.ko): No such device
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the guide that always works for me (and not only if we see the posts) is this one >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424 and i can't see any reference to modprobe nvidia (actually i have no idea why that); what i know is that in certain circumstances blacklist nouveau is necessary.
and that's about it.
amandus

Post by amandus »

I modprobe nvidia because the module are not loading at boot, something are very very wrong with this driver, I think it install a newer nvidia driver, but I don´t know.

I have tried reinstalled the system but all are the sam.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you can check that with

apt-cache policy nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
amandus

Post by amandus »

This is not working "apt-cache police nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx"
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry amandus was a typo in the command
this one is right

apt-cache policy nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
amandus

Post by amandus »

Sorry I´m tired I dont see, yes it stands that nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx is installed, but when I reinstall the nvidia driver it come up this:

nvidia:
Running module version sanity check.
Error! Module version 302.17 for nvidia.ko is not newer than what is already found in kernel 3.2.0-3-486 (302.17)
You my override by specifying --force

There is a very strange thing here, it seems that the module for version 302.17 is installed
amandus

Post by amandus »

I have solved it, now it is working with Nvidia Legacy.
I did a new installation upgraded everything including a kernelupdate to i686 PAE kernel and linux-headers PAE.

And then I installed the Nvidia legacy drivers and utilities from Synaptic :D
zerozero

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia 173 legacy

Post by zerozero »

sometimes start afresh is the best option, something was broken in that other system, somehow the 302.x nvidia driver seemed to be installed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”