VirtualBox Memory leak under Daryna 4.0 ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

VirtualBox Memory leak under Daryna 4.0 ?

Post by miket »

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a memory leak when using either VirtualBox 1.5.0 or 1.5.6 under Daryna 4.0 ?
Here's my scenario :

I start my Mint machine, core 2 duo 1.46Ghz with 1.5GB ram and 2gb swap.
I open a terminal and run "Top" selecting 1 second updates (press s1) and display both CPU usage stats (press 1)
I see I have 1.1GB memory free and no swap is used.

I start VirtualBox, with either Windows XP or Debian Linux 4.0r0 i386 (Or any other supported O/S)

I then start my virtual machine, I immediately see 350MB of ram taken from the free pool and assigned to VirtualBox.
That is as expected.
I login to my Virtual Machine, debian or Windows.
I then do nothing else in the virtualmachine and just watch the memory figures under Top on the host machine.

The memory free figure starts to drop, rapidly ... within 15mins the free memory has been used and the machine starts to swap.
after about an hour or so the machine has used all the swap and things are starting to get hairy, at this point I shutdown the VM!!

If I start the Mint host machine, open a terminal and run top but without starting VirtualBox all is fine, memory is used and released by applications.

Has anyone else seen this problem and if so is there a fix ?

Thanks.

Mike.
http://www.avanceit.co.uk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: VirtualBox Memory leak under Daryna 4.0 ?

Post by Husse »

I had the debian alfa running for quite a while in Virtualbox 1.5.0 but did not see a memory leak
(2 GB + 2 GB swap - I know it's too much swap, AMD 64 3700+ nvidia 6600GT 256 MB )
miket

Re: VirtualBox Memory leak under Daryna 4.0 ?

Post by miket »

Hi again Husse !

That encouraging to know !
Time for me to start digging again and see if I can find what is going on here then ...

Thanks for your help !

Mike.
http://www.avanceit.co.uk
Husse wrote:I had the debian alfa running for quite a while in Virtualbox 1.5.0 but did not see a memory leak
(2 GB + 2 GB swap - I know it's too much swap, AMD 64 3700+ nvidia 6600GT 256 MB )

Return to “Software & Applications”