Text-mode(alike) when booting Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Text-mode(alike) when booting Live CD

Post by Husse »

??
ISA video card! One, or two MB video memory!
You bet you'll have problems
Say you use 800x600 as resolution and a color depth of 16 bits
Lets see 800*600*16 is 7680000 i.e about 7.3 MB....
But do you really use an ISA card? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Dig that CRAZY retro graphics card man :lol:
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Husse

Post by Husse »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I must have been really tired when I forgot to divide by 8
Damn, I thought I ended up a little high om memory :)
Trust me I know the difference between bits and bytes :)
My first PC (a gift from my computer geeky stepson on my 50th birthday) used a vesa graphics card with "not much" memory and RAM was at 24 MB (or 16??)
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Husse wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I must have been really tired when I forgot to divide by 8
Damn, I thought I ended up a little high om memory :)
Trust me I know the difference between bits and bytes :)
My first PC (a gift from my computer geeky stepson on my 50th birthday) used a vesa graphics card with "not much" memory and RAM was at 24 MB (or 16??)
I always mess up the difference between bits and bytes.. Never remember what is 8 and what is 1. And MiB and MB STILL confuse me at times!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
mcurran

GeForce4 MX (Integrated): Desktop Effects - Yes | 3D Games

Post by mcurran »

I have a nVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics card and have enabled the nv restricted drivers, which allow all desktop effects with the exception of the water effect and fire effect to work. I tried to install the nVidia drivers with package manager, because I cannot run most 3D games with the nv driver. I can play games like Planet Penguin Racer, but the snow is black. Alien Arena, Open Arena, and Stellarium cause my computer to practically crash (blank-black screen with only the sound working), in which case I need to restart x in order to do anything. I have also tried the nVIDIA-glx-legacy drivers and nVIDIA-glx-new drivers, which still didn't run the games, and moreover, could not get my preferred resolution to work (1024X768). I know this card is capable of running the aforementioned games, because I got my ATI 3D Rage Pro LT (Mach64 chipset) to open Alien Arena, and that card is ancient. Does anyone use this card, and have the option to run any 3D games affectively, along with desktop effects enabled? If so, could you please give me some hints. I'm a little hesitant to try the legacy drivers again, because it took so long to get everything working the way it is now. Envy says my card is not compatible with any of the drivers it's currently offering.

Also, Clem or Husse: If you read this, please bump up my status a little, I have about 6 months experience and think I deserve a notch or two. I've helped a few and have moved from a noob to at least novice user.
Husse

Post by Husse »

please bump up my status a little
:mrgreen:
If by that you men the little bar under your nick it grows with the number of posts you make :)
Anyway I have a computer with Athlon 1700, ASUS mobo with KT266, GF4 MX440SE, 512MB, 115GB IDE disk (separate nic I think) as reserve and I just installed restricted driver in Elyssa beta031* without problem - I can't remember if there were problems on the other 8 distros installed on that box, but it works fine
*Yeah I know it's not out yet...
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Thanks, Husse. Yes, I have had, and still do have the restricted drivers running exclusively and am able to have the pretty destop effects. I was just wondering if this card is capable of running any of the 3D games in the Software Portal, like the one's I mentioned having problems with. Apparently the restricted drivers can't power them... Or maybe it's just the card. I think I'll give the other nvidia drivers a shot again, since I can then figure out how to enable the desktop affects with those running, which will probably be less involved than working with the restricted drivers for games. I think I have the same card you have.

Anyways, can you run any of those games? Wondering if you have a couple edits in xorg to unlock more features with the restricted drivers.

My new Asus G1Sn-B1 is coming any day, and according to Clem, Elyssa is going to have EnvyNG defaulted, so that should solve all my gaming needs in Linux anyway. Can't wait. Just hoping NG will have support for mobile chipsets, like my 9500m GS. I'm sure there'll be lot of kinks to work out, but I actually enjoy fixing these things more than just using my computer for its normal purpose :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

The capacity is limited and you also need to use the legacy driver.
Any game with more 3D than you had around 2000 or 2001 (can't really remember) will not work - the 440 simply is not powerful enough

Return to “Installation & Boot”