Cinnamon menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zkab

Cinnamon menu

Post by zkab »

I have LMDE and upgraded to UP 5.
Also did I 'sudo apt install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon' according to information in UP 5.
I cannot find any information about howto edit the Cinnamon Panel ... :(
I want to change the panel layout.
Is it possible ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon menu

Post by InkKnife »

zkab wrote:I have LMDE and upgraded to UP 5.
Also did I 'sudo apt install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon' according to information in UP 5.
I cannot find any information about howto edit the Cinnamon Panel ... :(
I want to change the panel layout.
Is it possible ?
Right click on the Menu item in the panel, Bazzinga!
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
zkab

Post by zkab »

Right click gives me the Main Menu window ... but how do I edit the panel (size, color, contents ...) like panel in Mate
One thing that also puzzles me is that when I right click Menu item then I get the Main Menu window but without Preferences and Administration items.
But when I left click at Menu item / Preferences / Main Menu then I get the Main Menu window with Preferences and Administration items ... hmmm
veggen

Post by veggen »

Well, Cinnamon is not and will never be as customizable as Mate. But it is getting more and more options with each version. Cinnamon 1.6 is much more customizable than 1.4 was. Not sure which one you have, but try getting 1.6 and see what it offers.
zkab

Post by zkab »

OK - I have 1.4 - will get 1.6
I got the impression that Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3 and Mate was forked from Gnome 2 and more development was focused on Cinnamon and therefore a better choice
veggen

Post by veggen »

You're quite right about forks, being built upon Gnome 2 is exactly what gives Mate it's superior customizability. Regarding developers' attention, I think both DEs are developed independently, by different groups (except Clem who was and maybe still is the release manager for Mate), so my guess is that they are more or less equal.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Rereading your OP I realised I gave a bad reply. What you want is in the panel item that looks like this ^ to the right side of the panel. I am pretty sure this is what you are looking for.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
zkab

Post by zkab »

Yes - basically I want to edit Cinnamon panel like in Mate ... but I understand (from veggen) that the developers did not gave that option ...

Return to “LMDE Archive”