HP LaserJet 1020 Plus print job completed but doesn't Print

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pytiwari

HP LaserJet 1020 Plus print job completed but doesn't Print

Post by pytiwari »

I have a Desktop with Linux Mint Maya (Mate 32 Bit) installed on it. My printer is HP Laser jet 1020 plus which is detected by the system and also installed correctly. I can print to it as well. However all of a sudden for no reason it stops printing without any error message. In fact, the job status is shown to be 'job completed' in the printer queue. It came back again to normal printing pages on its own (as I thought). This cycle happened many times until I could at least nail down the reason it was coming back to normal. The machine is Dual boot with Windows XP on it. Whenever I boot into Windows XP and print from it (which I had to do when the printer won't print from Linux) and then boot back into Linux, the printer starts printing. This is strange and I am not sure what is causing this but this pattern is repeatable. I have not been able to figure out yet when does this problem starts, I mean what causes the printer to go to hibernation.
can anyone help me avoid having to wake up my printer from Windows XP? This solution is unacceptable and embarrassing (I am constantly being asked to not use Linux) just for this reason.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HP LaserJet 1020 Plus print job completed but doesn't Pr

Post by pdc_2 »

so according to OpenPrinting

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_1020

you should have the foo2zjs driver installed to run this printer;

I see from my own mate 13 it is already installed here, even though I do not have an HP printer

I do notice on the above page it says
The firmware of the printer must be uploaded after turning it on. You can use a hotplug/udev script which comes with foo2zjs, or do it manually: "cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/usb/lp0".
.........you might like to check that.................

If you have the patience, Ubuntu provide a very structured debugging wiki

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

....it means wading through it ............

one segment of it says

In all Ubuntu flavors to activate debug logging you can run
$ cupsctl LogLevel=debug

another suggestion is to look at the CUPS

http://localhost:631/printers/

and see how your printers are set up there;

..I would ensure you have the latest foo package installed; I would be tempted to delete your current printer setup and re-install, even though you believe it to be correct ...................
pytiwari

Post by pytiwari »

pdc_2,

Thanks a lot. I will check if having a script to upload the firmware helps. I cannot try it right away as I will have to wait for my printer to once again goto the slumber mode. As I said, I am not sure what causes it to go into this mode, shutting down the computer doesn't always recreates the problem.
I have checked CUPS and everything appears normal there. CUPS also says job completed, no error and idle-ready print status. But nothing prints as such.
pytiwari

Post by pytiwari »

pdc_2,

Thanks a lot. I will check if having a script to upload the firmware helps. I cannot try it right away as I will have to wait for my printer to once again goto the slumber mode. As I said, I am not sure what causes it to go into this mode, shutting down the computer doesn't always recreates the problem.
I have checked CUPS and everything appears normal there. CUPS also says job completed, no error and idle-ready print status. But nothing prints as such.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

remember:

In all Ubuntu flavors to activate debug logging you can run

$ cupsctl LogLevel=debug
pytiwari

Post by pytiwari »

I think using hp-setup to install the printer driver solves this problem. Someone suggested this as a reply on the link you provided. As of now, problem appears to be solved unless I suddenly run into it.
I have tried switching off the printer a couple of times and checked to ensure that the firmware is not required to be uploaded manually after installing it with hp-setup.

Thanks for the help.
rigadorje

Post by rigadorje »

For anyone else who is browsing this thread:

Had the same exact problem with Linux Mint Nadia. After vanilla install, plugged in HP LaserJet 1020, printer was auto-installed and set as default. Sent job to printer; after a short while the job shows as completed but nothing is printed. (Printer works fine with Windows PC.)

Googling "linux mint laserjet 1020" throws up this thread up top. After reading it, I first deleted the printer from Mint, then tried "sudo hp-setup" in a terminal. Worked like a charm. Am printing fine now.
Garryck

Post by Garryck »

rigadorje wrote:After reading it, I first deleted the printer from Mint, then tried "sudo hp-setup" in a terminal. Worked like a charm. Am printing fine now.
This also worked for me.. but after doing the above I had to switch the printer off and back on again before it 'took'.
kiscsibe

Post by kiscsibe »

After reading it, I first deleted the printer from Mint, then tried "sudo hp-setup" in a terminal. Worked like a charm. Am printing fine now.

This also worked for me.. but after doing the above I had to switch the printer off and back on again before it 'took'.
It worked for me too,
thanks !

with hp 1020
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

I had a similar problem with my HP Laserjet 1018 in updated LinuxMint14 usb/hard drive install. Print job completed but doesn't work. I installed the HP binary files by reinstalling the HP Linux Printing plug-in using "Terminal". Reinstall drivers by typing: sudo hp-plugin -i after I pushed the Enter key my printer (powered on before anything was done) automatically restarted and then was read to print. Yes it worked. Now my laser printer works. Allow a little time to pass for the signal to get to your printer. I had so many previous print jobs that never printed so I cancelled all print jobs in the printer memory and printed out my webpage. I went to http://www.linuxmint.com community forum and went to HARDWARE under Printer resolutions and I used the "LinuxMint Julia edition" printer solution and typed in Terminal and it works under LinuxMint 14 ! :D
Newbie1 Kenobi

Re: HP LaserJet 1020 Plus print job completed but doesn't Print

Post by Newbie1 Kenobi »

Hello,

I've just installed my LinuxMint Cinnamon, and i had this same problem with my HP p1505 LaserJet. I managed to fix the problem by installing Hplip-gui from the Software Manager tool. Hplip was already installed and I left that as is.

Hplip-gui installation prompted me to download and install an additional plug-in, which I did, and the printer finally works.

hope this is of some help.
KyndaNewb

Re: HP LaserJet 1020 Plus print job completed but doesn't Print

Post by KyndaNewb »

Installed Mint 18.3. Joined this forum specifically to fix this issue. Found this post, installed Hplip-gui, plugged in the printer and went through the prompts. Done.

:shock: :D 8)

Thanks everyone for contributing!

Return to “Hardware Support”