"Adobe flash player was blocked... out of date" Chromium

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pythonscript

"Adobe flash player was blocked... out of date" Chromium

Post by pythonscript »

I'm using LMDE 64-bit, and I installed Chromium from the repositories. Any time I visit a web page that uses Adobe Flash Player, I get a message saying that "Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it was out of date." When I click Update plugin, it brings me to a page and tells me to select a version for Chromium below. However, the page says "download for Firefox." I select the .tar.gz file, since the only other options are an rpm (I don't know if this is something that would work with alien or not, and I hesitate to try) and a YUM file.

Once I download and extract the libflashplayer.so, where do I go from here? Should I overwrite the libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/? Will that work for Chromium?

I saw this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 64&start=0 but I don't think that applies because I'm using the version in the repositories. Shouldn't this version of flash automatically update as well?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pythonscript

Re: "Adobe flash player was blocked... out of date" Chromium

Post by pythonscript »

My apologies. I posted this in the wrong Newbie section. This should be in the LMDE newbie section, not the overall new user section.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Adobe dropped support for any version of Flash other than the version in Chrome that use the Pepper API.

This version that Firefox, Chromium and others use is out-of-date and will only get security updates for the next few years.
Shockwave Flash
Version: 11.2 r202

if you want a newer version use Chrome.
Flash (2 files) - Version: 11.3.31.232
Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31
Version: 11.3.31.232
Location: /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for that info craigevil. I didn't realize Chrome and Chromium had different versions of Flash. I'll install Chrome and see if my system can handle having both Chrome and Chromium installed at the same time so I can see which version of the browser I want to use for my daily web surfing.
george_angel

Post by george_angel »

For anyone with flash plugin "out of date" issues just use software manager , search "flashplugin" and install (the adobe one).
This worked fine for me in Chromium
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

You can also force Chromium to use the Chrome flash.

How To Make Chromium Use Flash Player `Pepper` From Google Chrome ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog - http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/how-to-m ... layer.html

Only drawback is you actually need to install Chrome. Seems rather redundant to me, if you have to install Chrome might as well use Chrome.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I ended up installing Chrome to get the in browser PDF support and I'm noting that Flash isn't recognized by some sites. For some odd reason the LA Times displays a note that I need to install Flash for their video but other sites show me Flash video with no problem. Probably a Times issue but I wanted to mention it happens on some sites.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

BostonPeng wrote:I ended up installing Chrome to get the in browser PDF support and I'm noting that Flash isn't recognized by some sites. For some odd reason the LA Times displays a note that I need to install Flash for their video but other sites show me Flash video with no problem. Probably a Times issue but I wanted to mention it happens on some sites.
If you have Chrome installed (which includes it's own version of Flash) and any other version of Flash, which is used, for example in Firefox, then you could try this:

Start Chrome. Paste this url in : chrome://plugins
At the top right click the '+' sign to expand the list. Find Flash in the list and if it shows two versions then disable the one with the lowest version number.
Probably 11.2 rxxx. Chrome is currently on 11.3 rxx.
Done.

Hope this helps. :wink:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm afraid I already tried that and still get the install Flash messages. I'll have to look upstream to see if it's reported and maybe get with the folks at the Time to see if we can get it resolved. Thanks for trying though, Gene.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

here's what I did as none of the plugins in the repositories work with chromium. I didn't really want to install Chrome if not needed. go to Adobe and down load the latest version of flash for linux. 11.2 xx down load the .tgz tar file
open it with Archiver and extract it to a fold in the home directory I made a folder called flash.

now make a link from that folder to usr/lib/chromium-browser like so:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /home/<ur usr name>/flash/libflashplayer.so  /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins

work like a charm :)
Good luck.

Note this will not be the pepper flash from chrome but it will work for now.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

BostonPeng wrote:I'm afraid I already tried that and still get the install Flash messages. I'll have to look upstream to see if it's reported and maybe get with the folks at the Time to see if we can get it resolved. Thanks for trying though, Gene.
Hi BostonPeng,

I just tested this by going here: http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/
Using Chrome version 21.0.1180.89 with Flash version 11.3.31.232 I was able to play every video I tested. No warnings about Flash being out of date. :shock:
They even played fine in Firefox with Flash version 11.2 r202. :shock: :shock:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

GeneBenson wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:I'm afraid I already tried that and still get the install Flash messages. I'll have to look upstream to see if it's reported and maybe get with the folks at the Time to see if we can get it resolved. Thanks for trying though, Gene.
Hi BostonPeng,

I just tested this by going here: http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/
Using Chrome version 21.0.1180.89 with Flash version 11.3.31.232 I was able to play every video I tested. No warnings about Flash being out of date. :shock:
They even played fine in Firefox with Flash version 11.2 r202. :shock: :shock:
Now that's weird. Those videos I can watch, but on their main page for coverage of the Dodgers I get an Install Flash message on the right hand side where the MLB league videos show up (which is kind of good since I want to disable those anyway) and on a story pageI also get the message where the video goes (this time another league video but sometimes it's a video from the paper itself). (I know this is a different error than the thread addresses. Should I start a new thread for this issue?)
LA Times missing Flash message.png
The videos show up in Firefox, but not Chrome. In Chromium I get the out of date message so my issue seems to be a Chrome-specific error. I'm heading to the Chrome site to check for, and if need be report, the bug.
FiReSTaRT

Post by FiReSTaRT »

You can always download the latest version of the Adobe Flash plugin from the Adobe site (get the tar.gz version), go to /opt/mint-flashplugin-11, rename the old libflashplayer.so to something else and extract the new libflashplayer.so into the folder. Did the trick for me.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm still getting the flash not installed message from the LA Times, despite putting the downloaded file in both /opt/mint-flashplugin-11/ and /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/ and alternating which version of Flash was enabled. Oh well, now it's more of an annoyance to be worked around than not being able to view the content at all. I've let both Google and the Times know about the issue and I'll just wait until they decide to either fix their code or get back to me letting me know what I need to do on my end.

Return to “LMDE Archive”