install to harddrive as live cd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fleamailman

install to harddrive as live cd

Post by fleamailman »

hi, laptop has no cdrom drive, best would be to install drirectly but the bios does not see the USB port and I have only about 190 ram so I am thinking of booting from ISO image on the hard drive, but I am open to ideas here, thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jokersloose

Re: install to harddrive as live cd

Post by jokersloose »

Could you install the laptop hard drive into a system that does have a CD drive and install that way?

Just a thought, hope it helps.

James
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Try looking at Daemon tools and Wubi.. Not exactly Mint, but I think it is possible to use Ubuntu to mount an image on harddisk and install Mint that way.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
fleamailman

Post by fleamailman »

OK, I am very good at removing and reloading the harddrive in the laptop, it's the linux bit which flumps me, example, could i create two partitions on the harddrive to which one has my bootable iso image and to which the other becomes a target partition, fedora will not let me do this but would mint let me, since I am looking for a distro that has all the good qualities of mint(all opted in, and wide driver base) while allowing me to selfboot install from a mint image ISO placed within the harddrive

on the laptop here in question, I don't want to use the original harddrive but a replacement harddrive, something like when one buy an Acer laptop for the first time(it comes with exactly this idea with three systems of windows, french german italian), in effect the idea of their restore disk

thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”