Mint 13 Xfce problem minimising windows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sasha_

Mint 13 Xfce problem minimising windows

Post by Sasha_ »

Re Mint 13 Xfce
I cannot minimise any windows since this was installed. I have read through most of
the 67 posts on this subject but do not understand for example, this advice :
Right click mouse on the panel and click Add to panel, then select Window List and click Add.
What does this mean?
I can see a down pointing arrow on top right of screen. When I right click this, I get,
Customise>Reset Tool Bar defaults> but nothing appears to happen when I click on it.
I am struggling and am beginning to wish I had never changed from Mint 10 where this problem
never existed. Please help but keep it simple as you would be amazed at what I don't know.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 13 Xfce problem minimising windows

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Sasha_.

Minimizing an application window inside Linux Mint 13 xfce should be pretty easy:
  • 1st way:
    In the upper right hand corner of the application window there will be 3 tiny icons. From left to right: [-][+][X]
    [-] => left click on it minimizes the application window
    [+] => left click on it maximizes the application window
    [X] => left click on it closes the application window
  • 2nd way:
    Right click on the application window title bar will popup a menu. The very first action at the top of the menu will be "minimize".
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

Karl
There are no visible [+] or [-] icons only a black cross [x]. So I only have the option to close a file.
Also when online as in this screen, there is only a downward pointing arrow which when I right
click on it, an offer to 'customise toolbar' appears or left clicking says 'How to activate Compiz in
Mint 13 Maya MATE. The absence of the plus and minus icons for changing screen size confounds
me. Any ideas?
Thank you
Regards
Sasha
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Right click on the application window title bar will popup a menu. The very first action at the top of the menu will be "minimize".

Not always if on maximized window 'unmaximize' will list first and other apps may have a 'custom right click menu'
But enough nitpicking

Was this a Clean Install (not using a '/home from other old install?
Was this a install with the Mint13-Xfce ISO. or a Xfce DE install onto another 'Mint Install'?

P.S. a little arrow (up or down) icon in right is usually a 'window shader' but shouln'd be in a default Mint install.(down icon means full window showing, down icon means only window bar showing with no window (can see whats behind). Most themes if clicked toggle state (and icon). :wink:

J.Jay
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

J,Jay
You say
'Right click on the application window title bar will popup a menu. The very first action at the top of the menu will be "minimize".' Where is this application window bar, say if I am in Libreoffice? I have clicked all over and cannot find 'maximise' What does it look like?

In answer to your question:
Was this a Clean Install (not using a '/home from other old install?
Was this a install with the Mint13-Xfce ISO. or a Xfce DE install onto another 'Mint Install'?
I had this installed on my Linux Mint 10 machine at my local IT Surgery so I do not know how they did it. I should have checked. I do not think it was a
clean install. Do you think it should be reinstalled?
Regarding your last point - I did not understand what you were saying except that it should not be there.'
'P.S. a little arrow (up or down) icon in right is usually a 'window shader' but shouln'd be in a default Mint install.(down icon means full window showing, down icon means only window bar showing with no window (can see whats behind). Most themes if clicked toggle state (and icon). '
I remain confused and hope I do not have to have a new reinstall but I certainly cannot use Mint 13 without the window minimiser.
Your further help will be much appreciated. Thanks
Regards
Sasha
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

If you go to Menu > Settings > Window Manager
(or if you have mintmenu installed ... Menu > Control Center > Window Manager)

Does the Window Manager box look different from this picture?
Window manager.png
If it is different, eg. if your minimise button is in the "hidden" section of Button Layout, instead of in the "active" section,
try clicking on the minimise button and dragging it to the "active" box to make it look like the picture.
Do the same for the maximise button, and if the down button is in the active section, click and drag that back to "hidden" section.

It certainly sounds strange with the reference to Mint 13 mate :?

caribriz
Last edited by caribriz on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry :oops: That first part was supose to show as a 'quote' the second part was mine showing that minamize is not always the first menu entry.

As far as a clean install 'Yes' going from 1 version to another verisions is better acomplished by not reusing the /home partition
Better too
1. rename the partition
2.do a clean install (indicating install not to use that partition)
3. then mount 'old /home partition' and start copying things over (it's the hidden and configs '.' files that cause most problems) little by little (easy in thunar using double windows)

The reason being (farther away) the version is more chance configs have changed, been deleted, stored different place/format. Especially (If I remember right) Mint10-Xfce was using 'Xfce 4.6 Mint13-Xfce uses 4.10.
Upgrading 4.8 to 4.10 has a couple minor hiccups :lol: But Upgrading 4.6 to 4.10 has some major hiccups.

P.S. one reason debian going to stay 4.8 (probably LMDE/testing will get 4.10 right after freeze) and even (X)Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) decided to stay with 4.8 (they talked about using a Beta/RC of 4.10) but figured the Users that only install from LTS to LTS (10.04 LTS was using 4.6 still) would have major problems upgrading online.

Hopes explains
J.Jay
Edit (sorry got lopped off/deleted) somehow
Try adding a new user (install gnome-system-tools packages) and see if problem persists their. If doesn't most likely reused '/home' (copy/paste time now without reinstall time :P ) if not most likely install (still could be because reused /home configs being used as defaults now)

J.Jay
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

J.Jay
Thanks even if you seem to be confirming the worst.
As a novice, a re-installation is beyond my technical capabilities at this moment in time
so I shall have to get someone to do it for me. So please advise
what I should specify in addition to what you have already advised. The only files I would wish to keep would be
My Documents. Should I go for 13 Xfce or KDE? I may be able to find a local Linux club to help me.
I appreciate your help.
Thank you
Sasha
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

caribriz wrote:If you go to Menu > Settings > Window Manager
(or if you have mintmenu installed ... Menu > Control Center > Window Manager)

Does the Window Manager box look different from this picture?
Window manager.png
If it is different, eg. if your minimise button is in the "hidden" section of Button Layout, instead of in the "active" section,
try clicking on the minimise button and dragging it to the "active" box to make it look like the picture.
Do the same for the maximise button, and if the down button is in the active section, click and drag that back to "hidden" section.

It certainly sounds strange with the reference to Mint 13 mate :?

caribriz
Hi Carbriz
Re: Menu>Settings>window Manager - when I clicked on window manager nothing opened. Found a settings manager but that too did
not open when I clicked on Window Manager. From what JJay has indicated - there appears to be a problem with the installation.
Thank you for your kind help.
Sasha
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Sasha_
Sorry to hear of your problems with your install.

If it had been a clean default install of Mint 13 xfce, you would have seen a similar screen of Window Manager settings like the picture I posted.
Then again, you would also automatically have your minimise/maximise buttons as well :wink:

Maybe someone can help you salvage your install, but in my opinion I think your best bet would be to back up any documents you wish to keep,
and do a clean install of Mint 13 xfce.

You could attempt it yourself (illustrated tutorials and youtube videos are around) as well as the forum, or like you say, maybe your local linux club could help you install.

caribriz
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Have you tried making a new user? Does it work?
then start coping/pasting documents (probably need to change permissions)
Can save having to reinstall.
Can change name & password back after delete original user (root/sudo password will stay as what specified in install) :wink:

Hopes Helps
J.Jay
***Edit***
Sorry just seen/reread...
Menu>Settings>window Manager - when I clicked on window manager nothing opened. Found a settings manager but that too did
not open when I clicked on Window Manage
That setting GUI 'window manager' will not run if xfwm4 not running! Sound like xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) knocked out or compiz (?) over riding.
Try in terminal 'xfwm4' if says running try '--replace xfwm4'.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Sasha_
What J.Jay suggests is certainly worth trying ....
That setting GUI 'window manager' will not run if xfwm4 not running! Sound like xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) knocked out or compiz (?) over riding.
Try in terminal 'xfwm4' if says running try '--replace xfwm4'.
J.Jay -
Sasha_ said:
There are no visible [+] or [-] icons only a black cross [x]. So I only have the option to close a file.
Also when online as in this screen, there is only a downward pointing arrow which when I right
click on it, an offer to 'customise toolbar' appears or left clicking says 'How to activate Compiz in
Mint 13 Maya MATE.
Mate DE installed as well?
Although, the above suggests compiz is not yet activated ... :?:

caribriz
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

Thank you, one and all.
It seems to me that a fresh install is the answer. I have read the install instructions but feel
I am not yet sufficiently proficient to do this myself. So will find an expert. One final question
then. If I am to do a complete fresh install of Mint 13, is Xfce more user friendly than KDE. As I
was updating from Mint 10 I did not know which to choose so opted for Xfce. Please advise and
again thanks for your help
Regards
Sasha
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Again, would suggest that you try J.Jay's suggestion first, before reinstall:

Open a terminal, and enter

Code: Select all

xfwm4
if you then get a message to the effect that it is still running ...
in terminal again:

--replace xfwm4
Have a look at this thread - similar problem to yours:
Read Aging Technogeek's response - that is what J.Jay has suggested you try and it has worked in this case. If it works, it would save a reinstall.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=71858

Strongly suggest you do that first.

If you have decided instead you want to reinstall - the choice between KDE and xfce (or any other) is a personal preference.
KDE has many more configuration options, some people say that it is more "Windows"-like than other desktops. I find it to be more complex than the others.
xfce is considered to be somewhat "lighter" on resources than others, perhaps simpler ... you will get many different viewpoints on the subject :) .

Then again, mate may be a good choice for you - it is more like (in appearance) the old Gnome 2 desktop, pretty user friendly and quite configurable
(but of course it is not exactly the same as Gnome 2).
Or you could try Cinnamon, which is quite new. They all have their pros and cons.

Maybe you could create a live dvd or live usb and give them each a try before committing to one or the other.

caribriz
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Well, I've just had a very bizarre experience - I've just had the same problem.

I was messing around with a theme in my Mint 13 xfce install and I changed some settings, then I logged out/in to test them.
When I logged back in, I had a weird looking screen with windows half cut-off.
I had no window buttons at all, not even a close button.
I had multiple windows open and couldn't close them except by clicking File > Quit or Close.

I was able to move the mouse and open menus etc. so I went to Menu > Settings > Window Manager
and like Sasha, nothing appeared at all.

While I could, I backed up my documents, fully prepared to reinstall if required.

As advised by J.Jay (above) - I opened a terminal and entered

xfwm4
and all the window buttons were back, and everything was back to normal.

So - it worked for me.
Thank you, J.Jay ...

Unbelievable coincidence :shock:

caribriz
Sasha_

Post by Sasha_ »

caribriz
An amazing coincidence. Although I have reinstalled, I shall file that information should I need it in the future. Thank you for sharing this timely solution.
Regards
Sasha_
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Well, unfortunately ... untimely :( as it turned out ...
but glad you've got it sorted now - even if you had to start again with a clean slate :wink:

caribriz
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

The problem was very likely with sessions, it remembered the last used desktop engine.If you change to XFCE you have to start it as caribriz said with xfwm4 command, then go to sessions-startup.. and save your session.
I ran into this after upgrading the kernel, I had no windows manager at all anymore. After lots of googling XFCE's FAQ saved my butt :)

Return to “Xfce”