Volume size error - how created, how avoid?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Volume size error - how created, how avoid?

Post by edzell »

I've been setting up dual boot on an 80g drive; XP-pro with Mint 10 Julia. With partition magic I created two 15g ntfs partitions sda1 & 2. I installed XP-pro on sda1 and it booted OK. Sda2 was to be a data partition shared with Mint.

Next, installed Mint 10 in new ext4 partitions defined manually: /, home, tmp, swap (sda1 & 2 marked Do Not Use.) I booted Mint & did some package install & uninstall (libre vs open office etc) then tried to edit fstab to automount ntfs partitions sda1 & sda2. This was unsuccessful but at present that's a side issue, since I found gparted giving the error message "volume size is bigger than the device size" for sda1. Not understanding what this really means I tried moving sda2 and enlarging sda1 into the freed-up space. That didn't appear to complete successfully so now I'm thoroughly screwed up.

I'm willing - reluctantly - to start from scratch (well I guess I'll have to!) but not before I can find out what I did wrong and how to avoid it next time round. I was trying to duplicate the dual boot system that I have on my laptop (much bigger drive) so I don't know what was different here. I'm not very experienced - can you tell? :) - so if anyone can help me with a simple-ish explanation I'd be very grateful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Volume size error - how created, how avoid?

Post by caf4926 »

Some advice for what it's worth.

With such a limited space I would just use swap and / in Mint
You don't really need to create a separate partition to share files as Mint can access the actual windows ntfs partition any way.

Why are you installing Mint 10? Support has ended.

I would:
Create Primary ntfs ??GB for XP
Create extended space in all that remains
Create swap = 2 x RAM
Create ext 4 for Mint /

And yes, you'll need to start over by the sound of it
So don't engage in tasks beyond your experience level, unless it's a sandbox
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

Referring to my initial post, I'll define my questions more narrowly:

What would or could have caused the volume-size error message to arise after installing Mint, with an ntfs partition that already had an OS (XP-pro) installed and previously functioning: and how can I avoid the same situation recurring when I reinstall either or both systems?

I believe I used exactly the procedure with which I set up my laptop with no problems - it's been running well for a couple of years.

I have no experience with the concept of volume size as opposed to partition size, don't know exactly what it means; so simple-ish explanations would be preferred.

(caf4926: promise me you'll try to get some sleep)
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

There is much unknown to me.
For Eg: When did the Volume error occur? Before or after your messing with fstab and gparted?
(caf4926: promise me you'll try to get some sleep)
Do you know me from somewhere else? This comment suggests you may
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

caf4926 wrote:There is much unknown to me.
For Eg: When did the Volume error occur? Before or after your messing with fstab and gparted?
I think I explained the entire sequence in order. The error, which prevents me from booting the Windows partition/volume - and prompts me to post here - is the last thing that happened.

I'm just going to start over. Thanks anyway.
Do you know me from somewhere else?
No, you're a whole new experience :)
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

No, you're a whole new experience :)
Excellent

Hope you decide to follow my recommendations
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

caf4926 wrote: Hope you decide to follow my recommendations
:roll: Not a chance mate :lol:

Return to “Storage”