UP5: update from UP3 / question regarding Gnome

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ChipHobart

UP5: update from UP3 / question regarding Gnome

Post by ChipHobart »

Hi there,

on my system I currently run LMDE UP4 together with Gnome 3. Now I think about updating to UP5, but I wonder, what my system will look like after the update process since I learned, that LMDE has dropped Gnome and instead (only) offers Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce. => Will I still be able to use Gnome 3 - or do I have to switch to for example to Cinnamon? And WHEN / how ("apt install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon"?) do I need to do the switch? Right after the update but before reboot?

Anoter important question: we have two additional computers that still run the already discontined LMDE UP3. Would it be possible to just switch the repositories and then do the update to UP5 - or do we need to first make (somehow) the step to UP4?

Finally: from my previous update of my machine to UP4 I learned that there were different possibilities to perform the update (command line, Synaptic, LMDE Update Manager et al.). Some of them seem to have disadvantages but I didn't get the final results, so: what is the suggested way of doing things? From the blog entry it looks like the suggested way is the usage of the Update Manager - but I just wanted to make sure, since I remmebered that in the first days of LMDE this was NOT the best way of doing things ;-) I laready updated the update manager on my machine as suggested in the blog entry and to me it looks like I would be "ready to go" for the update...

Many thanks in advance for any hint & tips and have a nice day!

Cheers, Erik

Edit: typos...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: UP5: update from UP3 / question regarding Gnome

Post by killer de bug »

Waouuuhhhh in a rolling release distro that's never a good idea to stay a long time without updating... It's a big step from UP3 to UP5...

You can use the Update Manager to upgrade. It's really safe. If you prefer apt-get dist-upgrade would be fine. At the end of the upgrade you can install cinnamon (apt-get install cinnamon)...

Good luck !
ChipHobart

Post by ChipHobart »

Hey killer,

thanks for the quick reply... Concerning the installation of cinnamon: right after the update has been finished, but before the reboot, right?

And you're right concerning the updates on the other two machines. They are not mine and thus not always available to me... We'd have to think about on how to go on with those... Maybe a different distro would be better for them... We'll see. :-)

Thanks again & Cheers, Erik
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Ok, first you're not using windows so... you're not obliged to reboot after upgrading. So you can install cinnamon, log out and log in cinnamon ;)

Cinnamon is a fork of gnome-shell. If you prefer gnome-shell you can still use it after up5. It will not be uninstalled. It's just that the new Mint iso don't offer it by default. You need to install it on a new system. But you are already using it, so it's ok ;)
ChipHobart

Post by ChipHobart »

Thanks for pointing this out - currently upgrading using update-manager & keeping fingers crossed... :-)

Thanks & cheers,

Erik
ChipHobart

Post by ChipHobart »

Edit: added reference to the theming issue...

Just a quick follow-up on this:

Upgrade on two of three machines to UP5 went without major issues. On my machine (previously on UP4) I had problems with the fonts looking ugly on browser etc. This issue was solved by the small script provided by monsta here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p630351

Additionally the theme looked bad -e xactly as described here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=629769

The provided solution there also solved my issue!

Finally I had problems with wine not able to run 32 Bit applications any longer. This was solved by adding the i386 libs as indicated by wine when trying to run from command prompt. Now my machine runs Cinnamon and for now I'm quite happy with that desktop => thanks to all involved - looks like this desktop has a great potential! :-)

Concerning the update from UP3 to UP5: I only did it for one machine for now but this worked fine without any major problems. After updating the Update Manager everything worked smooth and in general I faced the same minor problems as outlined above for my machine...

Cheers, Erik

Return to “LMDE Archive”