UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jasmineaura

Re: UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by jasmineaura »

ptruchon wrote:
sobrus wrote: I can see fglrx 12.6 in repository already! You're really fast :) Thank you!
Oops... Not working for me. I'm stuck in CLI mode now. Here is my Xorg.0.log file:

Code: Select all

[   492.310] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[   492.315] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
[   492.315] (EE) No supported AMD display adapters were found
[   492.315] (EE) No devices detected.
On the partition I didn't update yet, I see these lines instead of "No supported AMD display..."

[   492.310] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[          ] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
It is possible that you're affected by this:
Support of R600 and R700 chips (Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series) was dropped at fglrx-driver 1:12-6~beta-1.(changelog). The latter are helped with the now separate package fglrx-legacy-driver.
Unsupported chips are supported by the "radeon" open source driver, which provides 3D acceleration via DRI.
Source: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary/
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

While attempting to remove a random package, I see some core packages (that shouldn't be) marked for autoremove (!)
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
aptoncd caja gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 mint-artwork-cinnamon mint-artwork-mate mint-meta-debian-core
mintmenu-keybinder xdg-user-dirs-gtk
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
I know I can set them to manually installed, but this shouldn't be happening in the first place. No?
# dpkg -l mint-meta-debian-* | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2 " " $3}'
mint-meta-debian-cinnamon 2012.09.14
mint-meta-debian-core 2012.09.14
mint-meta-debian-mate 2012.09.14
ptruchon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptruchon »

jasmineaura wrote: It is possible that you're affected by this:
Support of R600 and R700 chips (Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series) was dropped at fglrx-driver 1:12-6~beta-1.(changelog). The latter are helped with the now separate package fglrx-legacy-driver.
Unsupported chips are supported by the "radeon" open source driver, which provides 3D acceleration via DRI.
Source: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary/
Yeap, that's me. Thanks a lot. I'll just keep the old drivers and kernel until the legacy one makes its way into the repo.
drjster

Post by drjster »

Monsta wrote:I've managed to somewhat improve font quality with a simple script which I've posted here. Need a few testers now to confirm it works not only for me. :)
Monsta,

FYI: I backed out this change, http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01 ... an-wheezy/ , and restored to the original (UP5) etc/fonts state. I ran your script and fonts are much improved. Thanks!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote:pidgin-facebookchat was yanked from wheezy, but mint-meta-debian-cinnamon needs it.

$ apt-cache depends mint-meta-debian-cinnamon | grep facebook
  Depends: pidgin-facebookchat
report of issues because of this unmet dependency here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 36#p630782
can it be backported :D
http://packages.debian.org/sid/pidgin-facebookchat
Bonsaii

Post by Bonsaii »

Hi,
Today I did the update (UP5) via update manager.

Wow. Just wow. Everything went smoothly.
Not a single glitch. All fine so far.
One warning by ... PulseAudio, who else.)

Consider me going down on my knees.
The LMDE team and all the testers are
absolutely great!

You all are doing a wonderful job,
thank you so very much,
Bonsaii
chinoto

Post by chinoto »

Happened to see this thread while googling for other stuff, so I'm gonna complain :D

I decided to upgrade at work (most of the updates were downloaded from previous attempts to do so) and as expected some stuff started to break as I was working, but I was able to cope by using Thunar in place of Nautilus (dunno why I have it installed...) and mate-terminal in place of gnome-terminal. I started it at 2PM and by 5PM it wasn't done so I had to leave it at work (or risk it dying on the way home because of a bad battery). When I got back to it the next day, it was sitting there waiting for me to confirm whether to replace or keep a configuration file, which happened a few times for a couple hours... Then it failed to setup some php thing (my [L]AMP setup is still working) and quit *facepalm*

I rebooted to see [if anything/what] was broken:
  • 1. Nautilus no longer has scroll arrows, random background bits are white.
    2. Gedit doesn't make the line number column grey anymore, seems to be a theming problem.
    3. Random Cinnamon applets have a space to the side of them (Panel-Bottom:{Menu:Right, Calendar:Right}, Panel-Top:{Battery:Left}).
    4. Sound problem was exaggerated (Skype made a garbled noise when I logged in to Cinnamon), dunno who's fault it is (ALSA, Pulseaudio, etc?)
    • If no sound is already playing, new sound will be garbled for a second like a radio. For example streaming with VLC will result in garbling when the song changes or you have to reconnect. Previewing Pidgin message sound also gets garbled, but if I preview it while playing music, it sounds fine.
      Small crackles sometimes (clipping?), as if my headphones are bad, which they aren't, playing music on my phone sounds fine.
    5. [FIX] qBittorrent finally runs, instead of splashing and crashing... yippee? >.>
    6. I can't see any problem with the font...
sobrus wrote:(Yada yada...)
And apt-get is indeed much slower than opensuse zypper - it took about about 20 minutes to update my system even on SSD.
I presume all distributions using apt share this "problem".
Funny you should say that, right after I upgraded from UP4 to UP5, I decided to upgrade my other computer's openSUSE partition from 12.1 to 12.2. I switched the repository addresses over and executed "zypper dup". It asked me to agree to some licenses (gonna have to switch $PAGER from "more" to "less", pressing enter when it asks to agree causes it to cancel), then it downloaded and installed the new packages, which took an hour or two.

When I rebooted, it was still using Grub1, I got a new menuentry for Grub2 that didn't work, but the menuentries I had before still worked. When I chose to boot openSUSE, it displayed a nice complex animation using Plymouth (much better than the gecko's eye looking back and forth). The desktop manager (login screen) was changed from the one I had been using before. About the only thing I noticed after using it for awhile was that the close button on windows were red and some programs got updated (hoorah Gimp 2.8! though 12.1 had it through OBS). So the only things to fix are replacing Grub1 with Grub2 and getting my old desktop manager back, both of which are only seen for a little while and work perfectly fine as they currently are. I'll probably do a fresh install of 12.2 from a LiveCD, it got kinda messy from installing 12.1 with Gnome3 (only as a base for Cinnamon *shudders*), trying to use Cinnamon (worked until I tried changing window themes), then switching to KDE (which I found is AWESOME!).

I had already decided awhile back that I wanted to replace LMDE with openSUSE on my laptop because I liked what it had to offer (delta RPMs, YaST, and OBS for example), but there wasn't anything I disliked about LMDE (and openSUSE 12.2 was coming out soon)... and then this happened. So openSUSE is getting installed this weekend, kinda sucks that I'm leaving LMDE on a sour note.

(Again, holy *, I wrote all that? Yet I had trouble writing anything for English class in high school?)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

chinoto wrote:Happened to see this thread while googling for other stuff, so I'm gonna complain :D
[...]
So openSUSE is getting installed this weekend, kinda sucks that I'm leaving LMDE on a sour note.
You had to install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon and mint-meta-debian-mate at the end of the process of upgrading. Did you do it ? It could be related to the problem of theming.

Good luke with openSuse. I used it for a while some time ago. Didn't like it very much. And RPM sucks. Why are they not compatible with fedora and mageia ones ??? Good luck anyway !
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:
mockturtl wrote:pidgin-facebookchat was yanked from wheezy, but mint-meta-debian-cinnamon needs it.

$ apt-cache depends mint-meta-debian-cinnamon | grep facebook
  Depends: pidgin-facebookchat
report of issues because of this unmet dependency here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 36#p630782
can it be backported :D
http://packages.debian.org/sid/pidgin-facebookchat
It may be unnecessary these days -- see the last message in this thread. Pidgin lets me add a FB (XMPP) account without it.

jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

chinoto wrote: 4. Sound problem was exaggerated (Skype made a garbled noise when I logged in to Cinnamon), dunno who's fault it is (ALSA, Pulseaudio, etc?)
  • If no sound is already playing, new sound will be garbled for a second like a radio. For example streaming with VLC will result in garbling when the song changes or you have to reconnect. Previewing Pidgin message sound also gets garbled, but if I preview it while playing music, it sounds fine.
    Small crackles sometimes (clipping?), as if my headphones are bad, which they aren't, playing music on my phone sounds fine.
Are you using snd_hda_intel ? With power management enabled? (does it happen on battery but not on AC)

# cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

If the above is not 0 (disabled), like 1 or 2, try to set it to higher number. this is the auto-power-save timeout, in seconds:
# echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

If that doesn't help, check if reset controller in power save mode is disable:
# cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

If the above outputs "N", try enabling it with:
# echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
xingular

Post by xingular »

All went fine, except GRUB. But I think it was my fault, not installing it in all the partitions. I did a boot-repair live CD and problem solved.
Next issue: sound mute in every startup. sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio, problem solved.
I have some minor problems with the theme, but selecting him another time and restarting they dissapeared.

The last: i choose to keep the previous SAMBA configuration file, but, I have the same problem from here, another time! http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=102384
No idea where to start.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Instead of removing PulseAudio you could try this to solve the muted volume:

1. Set the volume and microphone level the way you want it.
2. In the terminal:

sudo alsactl store 0
3. Then again in the terminal:

gksudo pluma /etc/rc.local
and add the following line: /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

4. Save the file and reboot

After the reboot the volume should start up with the level you set it to in step 1.

Worked for me in another distro where i encountered this muted volume issue.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

I'm still plagued with Total Freezes / Lockups. Nothing at all in syslog to point to what went wrong before the system froze, every time. :( :( :(

Prelude:
I was also having the same problem described in bug #1032980 ; LMDE MATE/Cinnamon 2012/04 installation always freezes at some random point of copying files. Similar hardware too here, i5-3210m (intel hd 4000) ivy bridge, Radeon HD 7670 -- Dell Inspiron 15R 5520. But I somehow eventually got it to install, but once I did, the display x-offsetting was wrong -- screen was shifted to the right (and wrapped around left) of the LCD, from boot (right after console switches to high res). The only thing that would mitigate that was disabling i915 modeset, which wasn't acceptable as I needed KMS to turn the radeon off via vgaswitcherro switch in debugfs (from /etc/rc.local). So for a while, I used liquorix kernel 3.4, and then switched back to the new kernel from incoming: 3.2.0-3-amd64 (3.2+45), and now freezing.

General info:

Only using LMDE incoming repos. Only foreign packages are from dell factory installed ubuntu for dell bcm43142 wlan/bluetooth card driver, and dell_laptop module -- both dkms installed. Freezes occur whether or not btusb module is loaded (when I don't often use). only using the "wl" module (for wifi).

fglrx not installed, radeon turned off at boot via debugfs vgaswitcheroo switch. Always using i915 video.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pcie_aspm=force"

# cat /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
options radeon modeset=1

# cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
options i915 modeset=1 i915_enable_rc6=1 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1 semaphores=1

/home/jas# free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3868 1090 2777 0 121 416
-/+ buffers/cache: 552 3315
Swap: 4310 0 4310

Description of the problem:
Freezes can happen every other day, after several days, or twice or three times in a row, like this morning. Without any prior warning or signs. Last 3 times this morning while using firefox,first time when opening an image link (the image rendered half way and laptop froze). The second two times while hovering over left-side of browser for tree-style-tab (ff-extension) auto-hidden vertical tab list to show (w/ transparency). Only a terminal with 2-3 tabs and pluma open, otherwise. And only additional (mate) applets used are CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor 1.4.0 & MATE Sensors Applet 1.2.0.

Problem was exacerbated yesterday when I changed /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
options i915 modeset=1 i915_enable_rc6=1 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1 semaphores=1
to:
options i915 modeset=1 powersave=1 semaphores=1
And so I switched back. Freezes didn't occur until this morning.

The one thing I've been doing more lately, is:
echo "min_power" | tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy

It seems to immediately quite down the laptop's fan, which is always otherwise running, regardless of AC/BAT status.

Is there anyway to make the kernel spit out anything to anywhere (local disk, remote syslogger, a network-connected vt) before freezing?
Any pointers to how to debug this? I feel I have absolutely nothing I can point my finger at with certainty to warrant filing a bug report.

Apologies if this shouldn't be posted here. Please let me know if I should rather start a new thread.

Thanks

Edit: from preliminary research, seems it is a problem with Ivy Bridge and Intel HD 4000 in 3.2.x Kernels:
Partially Sane developer (blog) - Ivy Bridge HD4000 Linux Freeze
Hardforum: Linux Bug Ivybridge
Ubuntu bug #999910 [IVB]12.04 64 bit System freezes (mouse, keyboard)

Guess I will have to deviate from LMDE's default (3.2.x) kernel.
fiver22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fiver22 »

I'd previously replied in this thread having no issues testing up5 on my system that had been running up4 since up4s release -all was well. I've just done a fresh install of LMDE Xfce UP4, then switched sources to UP5, then updated Xfce to 4.10 (by temporarily switching switching sources to Experimental). Again: no issues.
New inxi

fiver22@m0nster2:/home/fiver22  $ inxi -FGxr
System:    Host m0nster2 Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 T5500 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 6649.02 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 1667.00 MHz (2) 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1024x768@60.0hz, 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce Go 7300/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver b43-pci-bridge BusID: 0c:00.0
           Card-2 Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.121 BusID: 09:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 2600.5GB (53.0% used) 1: /dev/sda OCZ 100.0GB 30C 
           2: /dev/sdb FA_GoFlex_Desk 1500.3GB 0C 3: USB /dev/sdc 33AS 1000.2GB 0C 
Partition: ID:/ size: 20G used: 7.5G (40%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 20G used: 7.5G (40%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/boot size: 497M used: 62M (13%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 71G used: 8.2G (13%) fs: ext4 
           ID:swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:75C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
           deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
           deb http://debian.lth.se/lmde/incoming testing main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://debian.lth.se/lmde/incoming testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.lth.se/lmde/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.lth.se/lmde/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
           deb-src http://debian.lth.se/lmde/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
Info:      Processes 161 Uptime 12:57 Memory 825.9/3273.4MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
Great job ensuring a quality UP.
Is there a full changelog available somewhere? It seems to be a very 'behind the scenes' update without many 'obvious' changes.
Thanks LMDE!
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install mint-meta-debian-core
sudo apt-get install mint-meta-debian-mate
sudo reboot
(switch theme from another then back to Mint-X)
sudo apt-get remove deluge-gtk deluge-common && sudo apt-get -y install qbittorrent
Appearance > fonts > [Ubuntu11/Sans10/Sans10/UbuntuBold11/monospace10] subpixel with light opimization.

And that's all folks, successful upgrade to UP5 on my main computer :)
Had worries because of custom stuff I couldn't reproduce on incoming (Plymouth screen, homecompiled ffmpeg, MFP drivers, autologin, startup applications, SSH daemon,..), but everything's fine.

For people having bugs, please consider posting in /Linux Mint Debian Latest/ forum instead. Since UP5's out, no more incoming feedback is necessary ( -> thread obsolete )
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

UP5 is released, but ISO are not available for download yet.
I've updated to UP5 and it works very good.

But it seems like I've just discovered another important UP5 flaw :(
***There is no compiz in UP5***
(im sorry for large fonts, im just making sure Clem will not miss it!)
Compiz will work as long as you've updated from UP4 but for new installations it will be unavailable

Also, I noticed that some packages are not updated automatically. For example flash - you have to remove it, and then install it again.
Moreover, I couldn't remove libx264-116 because of openshot and kino, although they don't use it anymore. Strange
yoav

Post by yoav »

hi,
After installing mint-meta-debian-cinnamon and restarting still the theme and background are missing.
yoav

Post by yoav »

The background image is back after setting -> 'Have file manaer handle the desktop' to true
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

After upgrading, the sleep mode is no longer working. I can't recover from it anymore... the problem is described here
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm noticing something very odd since upgrading to UP5. I can shutdown as normal but even half a minute I see the black screen that I usually associate with my laptop being shutdown I notice that status icons for my wifi and power on lights are still on (my Bluetooth icon was also on until I disabled Bluetooth in my BIOS) and I continue to see a lot of hard disk activity. I'm also noticing that my battery isn't charging, and the low battery light constantly flashes. I'm running Schoelje's LMDE KDE respin, and this is what inxi -F returns:

$ inxi -F
System:    Host katia Kernel 3.2.0-3-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (-MCP-) cache 6144 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips 9974.48 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G86 [Quadro NVS 140M] X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1440x900@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer Quadro NVS 140M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 302.17 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver iwl4965 v: in-tree: BusID: 03:00.0
           Card-2 Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection driver e1000e v: 1.5.1-k at port 1840 BusID: 00:19.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (84.7% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_HTS72201 160.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 8.8G used: 6.5G (78%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 8.8G used: 6.5G (78%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 137G used: 127G (98%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 43.0C gpu: 0.0:65C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2991 
Info:      Processes 180 Uptime 14 min Memory 1183.0/3985.1MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
I ran inxf -F because I couldn't remember what flags are usually asked for and looking at the help screen looked like -F might show the majority of information being asked for.

Return to “LMDE Archive”