Battery indicator

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muzzie

Battery indicator

Post by muzzie »

hi I'am new to this just downloaded mint 13 think it's great, only thing is can not get the battery indicator on my laptop to work Properly can any one please help as I just can not get my head round it. It's proberly something really simple that I forgot to do during the setup.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dwasifar

Re: Battery indicator

Post by dwasifar »

Please define in what way it does not work properly. Is it missing? Inaccurate? In the wrong place? Visible only sometimes? What exactly is wrong?
LeeWilliams

Post by LeeWilliams »

I'm also having battery indicator issues.

The battery itself is working fine, however the indicator is always fixed at 0%, both while charging and not charging. When I view power Settings, it states "Charging - Fully Charged".
I've seen other people have also had similar issues which is probably caused by a mis-reading (read somewhere about batteries reporting percentages instead of an mAH or something or another, and the software interprets the percentage as the mAH instead of a percentage.)

Either way, any help you could provide to fix this issue would be appreciated.
I'm unable to unplug the laptop without the thing automatically shutting down.

~Lee.
PS. please be aware that while I am able to figure most things out, explanations would be appreciated and I AM a complete newbie to Linux.
vprolix

Post by vprolix »

Same here on my Linux Mint 16 Olivia Debian Xfce laptop, the battery indicator has been showing 9 minutes 7% for the last hour and a half not plugged in, and it doesn't show correctly when charging.. this just happened today. I heard to take out the battery and clean the metal plugs carefully with nothing but a QTip and Alcohol(not too soaked) I also heard to drain the battery all the way until it runs out.. then take out the battery and plug in the power cord, then put the battery in .. so hope one of them works... if not, it's an unknown bug that I have been trying the have Linux Mint aware of..
dacut

Post by dacut »

I am also seeing a stuck battery indicator. In my case, it's always at 100%.

I'm running Mint 16 (Petra), 64-bit edition, under VMware Fusion (host is running MacOS 10.9.2). I've verified that VMware is passing the power status to the guest. The acpi command line tool reports the battery level correctly, e.g.:

Code: Select all

% acpi
Battery 0: Discharging, 73%, 03:25:03 remaining
Here's what it looks like under sysfs:

Code: Select all

% cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/uevent 
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT1
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Discharging
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=10000000
POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_NOW=10597000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=50000000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=50000000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=35500000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=71
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=VMware Virtual Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER=
I'm not sure which process is responsible for this, so I haven't figured out how to debug that bit (yet). Any ideas?

Return to “Beginner Questions”