Any FreeBSD Users?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kevmille

Any FreeBSD Users?

Post by kevmille »

I am curious to see if there are any FreeBSD users in the Linux Mint community.

I have been using FreeBSD for a couple months now. Currently I am rebuilding FreeBSD 7.0. I really love it. Be nice to see a Linux Mint derivative of FreeBSD with the likes of DesktopBSD or PC-BSD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Any FreeBSD Users?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Well have only been using Linux since just before the new year, but I am a fast learner and I am also very curious about BSD. I was thinking after I got my new thinkpad I could completely wipe the HD on my school dell laptop and fool around with FreeBSD for the remainder of the term. How has your experiences been in comparison with Linux? Anything noticeably harder to set up?
nero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nero »

I am using Mint Xfce on my somewhat older laptop, PC-BSD on a much older desktop and Ubuntu on an official new Dell Ubuntu desktop (a mistake, ask me).

PC-BSD is roughly the equivalent of Mint. It is stable, looks good and just works--period. There is even a thread on the PC-BSD forum that equates Mint and PC-BSD. There are many gracious comments about Mint.

nero
________
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

proxima_centauri wrote:Well have only been using Linux since just before the new year, but I am a fast learner and I am also very curious about BSD. I was thinking after I got my new thinkpad I could completely wipe the HD on my school dell laptop and fool around with FreeBSD for the remainder of the term. How has your experiences been in comparison with Linux? Anything noticeably harder to set up?
I am a Gentoo guy so FreeBSD was not that difficult to use. Ports and Portage are nearly the same. I found FreeBSD easier to install and configure to install than Gentoo. I started out with PC-BSD ended up switching to FreeBSD about a month later since I like to have control over my system. Compiling xorg and KDE made it run faster in FreeBSD than PC-BSD but you can also rebuild your PC-BSD as well.
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

nero wrote:I am using Mint Xfce on my somewhat older laptop, PC-BSD on a much older desktop and Ubuntu on an official new Dell Ubuntu desktop (a mistake, ask me).

PC-BSD is roughly the equivalent of Mint. It is stable, looks good and just works--period. There is even a thread on the PC-BSD forum that equates Mint and PC-BSD. There are many gracious comments about Mint.

nero
________
Yeah, I think I started that thread. I do think PC-BSD and Linux Mint are the same. DesktopBSD has the nicer KDE GUI.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

So if I wanted to eventually move on to FreeBSD but start of with a little something more newb-friendly I might try DesktopBSD? My understanding is the different between Desktop and PC-BSD is the package management system, with desktop using the same idea as Freebsd with a gui, and with pc-bsd using their own specific packages. Is this about right?
chemry

Post by chemry »

A guy called 'molom' tried to start this idea. I really didn't take much attention to that idea he made. Its a nice idea since there isn't a good FreeBSD derivative like PCBSD that uses gnome as default.

Here is the first time he tried to start it
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ogo#p53184

A logo he made for Mint BSD
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ogo#p53746

But he's long gone from this forum. He now is developing with another previous Mint user an Ubuntu based Enlightenment 17 distro with codecs pre-installed called Maryan Linux after being kicked out for arguing with Clem. He was one of the managers for Mint E17.

If anybody wants to start BSD Mint with that logo, I would definitely use it. Let's make this a reality.
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

Oh, you meant this forum. That is a nice logo.

Return to “Chat about Linux”