Mint 10 "Julia" to what?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZeonOtaku

Mint 10 "Julia" to what?

Post by ZeonOtaku »

Yesterday I posted about webcams and drivers and was told Linux Mint 10 is "no longer supported". Well, I'm one that doesn't really like upgrading because generally when things are upgraded, things that you've learned and become comfortable with have a tendency to change drastically. So if Linux 10 is no longer supported, what would be the distro of mint that is supported, I would be comfortable with? I've heard some of my friends who have been using current versions of Mint talking about how the graphics interface has been changed drastically - these folks are more Linux savvy than I.

The current version of 10 that I'm using is based on Gnome? It's a USB stick boot a friend made me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Mint 10 "Julia" to what?

Post by squeezy »

If you want true GNOME 2, which has been discontinued by GNOME, then Mint 11 is still supported with that DE. If you want the most recent Mint release with a DE that's a clone of GNOME 2, then Mint 13 MATE is what you're after.
eric k

Post by eric k »

Current supported versions are Mint 9 LTS, Mint 11, Mint 12, and Mint 13 LTS.

Mint 11 is supported until October 2012, and will give you the same desktop experience as Mint 10, plus some breathing room before it's support runs out.

Mint 13 with MATE is meant to be a continuation of the deprecated GNOME 2 project, with the editable panels and customization options many know and love. Mint 13 with Cinnamon is designed to offer the traditional desktop paradigm while taking advantage of the technological improvements GNOME 3 has to offer.

Moving away from Mint, other GNOME 2 choices to consider would be Debian 6, Solus OS, and Fuduntu.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Added to Eric's good synopsis if you have the real estate, consider a complete install of the "proposed" ops/desktop. Kick the tires and try it out before making the deep commitment.

-DataMan
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

eric k wrote:Mint 11 is supported until October 2012, and will give you the same desktop experience as Mint 10, plus some breathing room before it's support runs out.
Plus a little annoying "bonus" (look here) which can make you think twice before replacing Mint 10 with Mint 11 :evil:
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

I upgraded from 10 to 13 and had no trouble adjusting to the transition. The only problem was my old hardware, which was well over 10 years old and couldn't make the change.
toddbailey

Post by toddbailey »

I'm running the Commordore Release/Variation of Mint 10. It's no longer supported so no bug fixes will be made. I'd like to keep the existing "effects" and misc applications in place, so I'm wondering how I might do a in place upgrade to say Mint 13 lts. Could I just copy or edit the apt repository files from another Mint 13 machine, running the same hardware and do a apt-get upgrade, or would that fubar the existing machine running mint 10?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”