[Solved] Where is the real kernel?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Where is the real kernel?

Post by rebelxt »

When running mintUpdate with levels 4 and 5 visible, it shows a level 3 "linux" package and a level 5 "linux-image-generic" package. If the level 3 "linux" package is selected for upgrade, it triggers a message:
The following package will be installed:
linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic
Is this the same package as the level 5 "linux-image-generic" package, or something different :?:

A level 3 update should not trigger a level 5 update, so it would be reasonable to assume that they are different packages. If so, the level 5 package would have to be the real kernel. But then what is the level 3 package? Or is the level 3 update actually triggering a kernel update?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Where is the real kernel?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rebelxt.

linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic is linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic, no matter whether a level 3 package displays it as a required package or whether you see it under level 5 directly.

No need to believe my words. Use Synaptic and checkout yourself. - By the way Synaptic does not know of or care about the 5 risk levels of MintUpdater.
If you locate the installed package "linux-generic" in Synaptic, then you will find that "linux-generic" depends on a package named "linux-image-3.2.0-xx-generic" where xx will be some number between 23 and 31 depending which kernel version is currently installed.
So if MintUpdater suggests updating "linux-generic" to the latest version which is 3.2.0-31 (for Mint 13), then doing so will make it necessary to update the current linux-image-3.2.0-xx-generic to linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic, no matter which risk level has been assigned to kernel updates.

Anyway. Ever since the Karmic Koala era, I have allowed the updater to install any new kernel release version and have never experienced any problems resulting from these updates. (Yet, there may be particular hardware setups where kernel updates may trigger problems. Very likely all my hardware has always been plain vanilla.) So my recommendation will be: allow MintUpdater to update to Linux kernel 3.2.0-31.

The level 3 "linux" package will be a so-called meta-package, i.e. one which itself does not hold any relevant files, but which holds together a set of packages, like e.g. the set of packages that make up the Linux kernel.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

@ karlchen: Thanks for the reply. Just to be explicit, my question had nothing to do with whether or not the kernel should be updated; only about what's going on with the level 3 and level 5 updates. Which means it is strictly about what mintUpdate is doing.

If I read your reply properly, a level 3 update package (linux) triggers a level 5 update package (linux-image-generic). This seems at least illogical, if not an actual bug.

Does anyone know the reasoning for this?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

rebelxt wrote:If I read your reply properly, a level 3 update package (linux) triggers a level 5 update package (linux-image-generic). This seems at least illogical, if not an actual bug.
You said you have levels 4 and 5 active, so it would make sense that level 5 packages will be updated.

If it was the case that you only had levels 1, 2, and 3 active, and a level 3 package lead to a level 5 update - then yes, that would be illogical and probably a bug.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

When I start mintUpdate, I see this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l60gbgxtb9ocv ... enshot.png
After clicking on "Install Updates", this pops up:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l82uv7fr13v58 ... hanges.png
Do I have a bug?

The screenshots themselves don't want to appear in this post, so you have to click the links to see them. Sorry.

EDIT: moved screenshots to a different location
Last edited by rebelxt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

You said you had all level's enabled (1-5), so that would be normal behaviour shown in the screenshots.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

Actually, if you look at my original post, I said levels 4 and 5 were visible, not active. But that's beside the point.
The question is, should the level 3 update be triggering the level 5 update? That's what appears to be happening.
proxima_centauri

I'm not familiar with mintupdate so I assumed level 4 and 5 updates would only be visible if they were enabled.

Are you saying that level 4 and 5 updates are not enabled, and you get the message to upgrade the kernel image?
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

proxima_centauri wrote:Are you saying that level 4 and 5 updates are not enabled, and you get the message to upgrade the kernel image?
That's correct. You can set the "visible" and "safe" defaults in preferences. I have "visible" but not "safe" set for levels 4 and 5. Then, as you can see in the screenshots, "upgrade" is not checked for those levels, and yet, the level 3 update appears to be triggering the level 5 update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l60gbgxtb9ocv ... enshot.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l82uv7fr13v58 ... hanges.png
Last edited by rebelxt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

Please un-check level 4 and 5 updates from visible so only level 1, 2, and 3 are checked. Refresh and update.
Do you still get the option to upgrade the "linux" package? if so, with the additional level 5 update?
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

proxima_centauri wrote:Please un-check level 4 and 5 updates from visible so only level 1, 2, and 3 are checked. Refresh and update.
Do you still get the option to upgrade the "linux" package? if so, with the additional level 5 update?
Yes!
proxima_centauri

Okay, if you're absolutely sure that level 4 and 5 updates are not checked as "visible" and not checked as "safe" (you should not see any level 4 or 5 updates in mintupdate at all), and you STILL are getting a prompt after refreshing the package list, that you need to update the level 3 package "linux" and by extension, the level 5 package - then we have a problem.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

Here is a new screenshot showing the level 3 update and the additional change triggered by clicking on "Install Updates".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8sj1mx39t69c ... anager.jpg

I won't disagree about the problem.
Last edited by rebelxt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

One last question, have you added any third-party repositories? Perhaps one is interfering.

I'm also told the "linux" package should not be installed by default.
proxima_centauri

It's looking like the "linux" package should be pinned as a level 5 update, but was not included in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules , for whatever reason. I will contact the dev's about this and see what can be done.

Thank you for your patience.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

I do have additional repositories. Here is a link to a screenshot of the list.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc30fykpso7f0 ... ources.png
Last edited by rebelxt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

I spoke with the Linux Mint dev's and the "linux" package has been added to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules to be shown as a level 5 update. This behaviour should no longer occur in the future.

Should be an update to version mintupdate 4.3.3
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

proxima_centauri wrote:Should be an update to version mintupdate 4.3.3
It's actually mintUpdate 4.4.3, but yes, the fix is in, and it works.

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”