Easiest Programming language

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DataMan

Re: Easiest Programming language

Post by DataMan »

Is this an attempt at a poll?

The easiest programming language will be the one defined by your personal preferences, needs and background (i.e. it will be different for everyone). If you are looking at which language you should get involved in, it would be more beneficial to state your end objective.... like I want to write Linux applications or I want to develop the skills to do web site stuff etc. etc.

For me currently it's PHP with affiliated branches into css, JQuery.

-DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I think it depends on what you want, strongly typed (most modern languages), dynamic (interactive like lisp, python, smalltalk, scheme, squeak etc) functional (Haskel, apl (for those that like simple and powerful)) and the ubiquitous C or C++

Most developers/programmers and most companies like lots of support and hand-holding ides(integrated development environments) because they count lines of code and know that most programmers depend on the compiler to catch mistakes
--probably why XP (Extreme Programming: partner testing/code writing) is not as popular as frameworks + IDEs'
axel668

Post by axel668 »

depends ... what do you want to do with it ?
PHP is good for "web stuff" (can be easily integrated with HTML pages),
For scripting or simple desktop applications I have found python pretty straight- forward to get started.
For more complex stuff probably Java is the most easy option, there's tons of documentation and examples available on the net and with eclipse you get an excellent free IDE.
Wiz Kid

Post by Wiz Kid »

If you want something easy to learn then the answer is simple PERL. That's what I will be teaching myself. The others might be a bit complex even to set up. With PERL I hear you can just start learning. Good luck.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I don't see why other are more complex to install, several already come with Mint by default. Run "python" on the terminal and find out what happens.

I also don't think PERL is the easiest to learn, I would say Python, even for children 8 years and older.

Choose one and start learning, eventually you will learn several anyway.
Wiz Kid

Post by Wiz Kid »

nunol wrote:I don't see why other are more complex to install, several already come with Mint by default. Run "python" on the terminal and find out what happens.

I also don't think PERL is the easiest to learn, I would say Python, even for children 8 years and older.

Choose one and start learning, eventually you will learn several anyway.
Can you tell me which ones come in Mint by default?
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Check out http://www.learnpython.org/ - allows you to learn python directly in the browser.

Python is included in Mint, too, just copy some code into gedit, save as example.py and run with python example.py from the terminal (perl works the same way, just with perl example.pl).

If you get deeper into it, you might want an IDE, see http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD ... vironments for examples
(I have also successfully used Geany to work on python scripts).
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

I think we have our winner: Python (even an 8-year-old could use it, lol)

I was looking for something easy to learn as well; I have problems with code and math in my head, etc. Some sort of brain damage, probably.

I need something that is THE EASIEST to learn. Thanks for the input. I'll be checking python out.

My 2 cents... depending on what your goal is, product-wise, find a wywsiwyg editor that does everything for you, like MS visual-basic, or Adobe Dreamweaver, or of course open-source/free-software that does the same type of thing. I unfortunately have no idea what that would be...

What are some good FREE alternatives to popular wywiwyg solutions?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

/rant and intentionally off-topic, but...

It's irritating when the author of a thread decides to delete his/her original post. The logical flow of the conversation gets lost and only serves to confuse would-be readers. :roll:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:/rant and intentionally off-topic, but...
keeping the off-topic :D
the OP was a spammer and his/her account together with the posts deleted several days ago;
i decided to keep the topic because 1) was understandable even without that post and 2) there is here some useful information;
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

zerozero wrote:the OP was a spammer and his/her account together with the posts deleted several days ago
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was a spammer. Moving on.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

i would say it depends on the desired result
for example, you simply must use lua if you are programming in wow, as far as i know; however, it is known as an easy language, i think :)
it makes sense to me to use a wysiwyg editor, whatever the language; but, again, depends
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I would add this, that apart from depends on what you need in a programming language..

Easy is as easy does..
I mean that the easiest computer language for you is the one one you can grasp fairly quickly and feel immediatally comfortable with
  • Syntax and language style
    --blocks and so on..
If you like English as a programming language, your favorite might be Cobol
--due to its sentance structures

Return to “Open Chat”